Logo

Bogging Motor

ssugg163

Hey all - first time posting on a thread. I have a 1976 Evinrude 70hp. First time out on the lake with it today and it started up fine, was a bit smokey but its a 2 stroke. Got out of the no wake zone and tried to open up the throttle. Ran great for a second, but then all the sudden bogged down. I backed off the throttle and it straightened out. When I tried to open it up again it bogged down again and this time stayed bogged down. I limped it back to the launch ramp and shut it off. After that, it would not turn back on. Had to winch it onto the trailer. I am running off a portable gas tank. Any ideas on where to begin????

How did it run for you last season ?-----Sounds like you need to clean the carburetors.----I believe there was a service bulletin on carburetor modifications for 76 models.---And if this is a " new to you motor " have you installed a new impeller ?----Tested the overheat horn ?

This is my first season with her! The guy I bought it from said last season they backed it into the water and when they stuck it in reverse there was a pop. Ended up being the shift pin - when I got that replaced I also replaced the impeller and had the lower unit seals replaced. I’ve never tested the overheat horn (didn’t know that was a thing)
I’ve also decided the female ends of the fuel quick connectors are likely shot. When priming I am hearing air.

I think I am going to eliminate the quick disconnects entirely and switch to barbed fittings. Although it is a removable tank, I have no intentions of removing it. I am going to run fuel line straight to the pump as well and eliminate quick connect on the engine. While I am at it, I am going to install an in line fuel filter so I can see the flow, and I think I am going to install a new primer bulb just to be safe. Thoughts? Going back to the overheat horn..where and how do I test that??

IM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM , MEANING MY 90 HP RUNS OK WHEN IDLING , BUT WILL NOT STAY UP WHEN THROTTLED UP BUT FOR A FEW SECONDS. iVE CLEANED THE TANK AND TRIED A PORTABLE TANK AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME, i BELIEVE MY NEXT STEP WOULD BE TO CLEAN THE CARBS, BUT I AINT SURE IF I WANT TO, OR HAVE IT DONE .

Is this a 1964 ?----!880?-----1995?---1999?-----Carburetors are easy to clean.----Any other trouble shooting done.=====Post your compression numbers.

Back