Logo

Bogging down at full speed

Walkertexas26

I got this boat from my dad, and it won’t go full speed without dying. I changed the spark plugs, gas line, carb air box gaskets, and made sure I’m getting good compression and spark. I also changed gearbox oil but it still won’t go full speed it goes full speed on land without any hesitation but in water it just dies.

.....and when did the problem start? After a storage period? Could be that the main jets are partially plugged off. Need more details, Walker. Typically a motor will crank up to full speed with no load against it, as running on land. When you put it in the water, it wont show any power, especially when running with a cylinder down, or lack of fuel....for instance.

.....and when did the problem start? After a storage period? Could be that the main jets are partially plugged off. Need more details, Walker. Typically a motor will crank up to full speed with no load against it, as running on land. When you put it in the water, it wont show any power, especially when running with a cylinder down, or lack of fuel....for instance.
It started after sitting for a long time 10years to be exact I re built the carbs and did a full service in the engine before starting it

How did you clean the main jets? They may appear open, but they could be restricted to a slightly smaller size from deposits that seem insignificant. I see this quite often. The motor will starve for fuel under load. I use CRC throttle body cleaner and a welding tip cleaner assortment. If one carb is running leaner, it will score the cylinder....boat operators can be unaware and this will cause major damage.

Did you push the primer on your key switch in when it starts to bog down?? If it momentarily increases RPM more than likely the Carbs have crap in them.

Back