Logo

Bobtail 383 Mag MPI Questions

rod_stewart

Outstanding Contributor
"So I have picked up the new 3

"So I have picked up the new 383 MPI engine pacakage and I am getting ready to replace my 1996 carbuetted 4.3LX; reusing my Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. I have a few questions that I am hoping those more knowledgable can help me with.
The 383 has a standard round 10 pin main harness plug, but the wiring diagrams show a few connectors that I am not familiar with: CAN connector, fuel level connector, paddle wheel/seawater temp connector, and transom harness connector. Anyone know what these are for and if I need to use any of them?
The 383 comes with a Bravo engine bellhousing and coupler. Anyone know if this will bolt up to the Alpha transom plate? Or will I need to swap the bellhousing from the 4.3?
I found out that I can use the Alpha shift bracket, but that I need to change the interrupt switch to an N.C. type and new actuator. I have ordered the necessary parts.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod"

"Rod those extra connectors do

"Rod those extra connectors don't need to be used unless you're planning to use a SmartCraft monitor. As for the bell housing, if the old one bolts up to your new motor and doesn't interfere with the coupler, use it."

Back