Logo

Boat will not crank...nothing

Jugfishing

I have a 90 horsepower Mercury outboard that I'm having ignition issues with. I have replaced the starter I have replaced the solenoid according to my multimeter I have plenty of battery power and the battery power is going through the starter and the solenoid. Do I need to replace the volt age regulator? Do I need to replace the key ignition? Need help can only drive this boat one way can't park it somewhere and try to crank it back up round trips to and from the dock.

[Yes I double checked everything. Multi letter shows power at at solenoid and starter. But it just doesn't always fire. Should I replace ignition switch? Is there something I can test on the ignition?

QUOTEE=racerone;717137]Checked fuses ?----Checked " neutral start only " switch in the control box ?[/QUOTE]

New information. The starter seemed stuck so I used jumper cables to go straight from battery to starter and the starter turned over. Removed jumper cables and it cranked right up. Went for a couple of boat trips. Next day went to eat lunch at local on lake restaurant. After lunch, got in boat and nothing. Turned key several times and it finally grabbed and cranked. Should I replace the voltage regulator? Could it be the ignition switch? I have so many questions.

What can I test with a multi-meter to find the problem???

I had a similar issue drove me nuts, it turned out to be the barrel connector from main harness to motor the pins weren't making proper connection i got small screwdriver spread pins out slightly, cleaned with contact cleaner and job done. Dont get heavy handed on the pins. Hope this helps. Your motor my be different

Last edited:
Dear friends, I am back. The trouble has resurfaced and now it is worse. The battery is losing power over a couple of days. Any ideas on what to check next? By the way, I found the barrel connector and there were no issues. How can I look for a short? Could the voltage regulator be damaged? Looking for answers. Looking for steps to use to solve this problem.

Here is what I have done so far:
1. Replaced battery.
2. Replaced starter with brand new starter.
3. Replaced solenoid.
4. I get a power reading when ignition key is turned at solenoid but not immediately thru starter. I did a direct connection from positive battery post to starter to make sure it was not damaged and the boat cranked. It continued to crank without incident until we went to a lake side restaurant for lunch, and I had trouble getting it to turn over at the ignition switch.

Help! Please!

What did you have for lunch? Seriously, I'm no expert but I was having similar problems. I disconnected my harness at the motor that goes to the controls. I took a screwdriver and shorted it across the started solenoid. If it cranks over, you have a problem somewhere between your solenoid and your controls. Mine turned out to be a bad safety switch where if you fall out of the boat it kills power. I pulled my plug wires first. If not the engine will start and to shut it off you would have to hook the harness back up. Good luck

Back