Logo

Blown fuse (short circuit?) AQ130C

robgommans

I have a short circuit somewhere in my Draco 2000 DC with Volvo Penta AQ130C motor. The fuse box at the engine (15A) burns out.

Initially this happened while we were sailing. Engine stopped completely. We took another fuse in the fuse box and then we could sail the last few meters to the harbor. The next day I restarted the engine to warm up the oil so I could renew it. After 15 minutes or so the engine shuts down again. I gave a bit of gas to 2000 rpm (I wanted to spray some carb cleaner in carb), engine starts to stutter (nothing sprayed in carb yet) and then stops completely. Blown fuse again. I then added some isolation tape to exposed wires near the cable shoes, cleaned the cables, replaced some cable shoes (they were completely broken), everything reconnected. Now, when I turn the main switch the fuse blows immediately.

- Battery indicates 12.9 V.
- How can I measure whether there is leakage current? I disconnected the cable from the negative pole of the battery and connected a multimeter between cable and negative pole, but it indicates 0 at A and mA. But obviously there is no new fuse and the main switch was off . So I have no idea if I did it right.
- Is the Dynamo or the regulator now guaranteed to be broken, because the fuse blown while sailing? The manual states that the main switch should never be turned off while the engine is running, as this will immediately cause damage to the alternator.
- How can I best work to find out where the problem is?

The fuse that blows every time is circled in red in the image below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkz3k4hqd0gj100/Wiring diagram AQ130C.png?dl=0

Back