Logo

Blind Man Needs help installing a kill switch

jtblas

as the subject says it: blind man needs help installing the kill switch on my Johnson Evenrude motor. The motor is an outboard. It is a 15 HP motor, Model Number: E15RETB

You might be wondering how in the world is a blind man going to do this. Well, I have posted here before when I had my 1971 20 HP Johnson Outboard which I maintained myself. I did all the work with the motor for over a year. I got rid of the motor because there were too many issues with it. I purchased the 15 HP Evenrude from a good friend. I know that the motor needs work.

So, I would like to replace the kill switch but I need a good description of what I need to do. Even if I get the manual, I won't be able to use it because I can't see the parts. However, if someone here can provide me with detailed steps, I can get it done because I have the tools and the know how.

I also know that there are people on this forum that can visualize the entire motor just like they can visualize their TV remote control.

Any help would be appreciated. Up next: I am replacing the impeller and I know I will need help with that part. One step at a time.

As this require the ability to see the color coding on the wires, it might be a bit difficult.
However if your motor has a stop button in the lower cover, simply replace the button with a kill switch using the same wires.

Well, I know that there are color coded cables. I do know that. I expected a different response but I will clarify. I am now holding the kill switch and I can distinguish it very easily. sometimes we limit ourselves by our sight.

I will describe this kill switch and perhaps you might be able to help me a bit.

the kill switch comes with two parts:

(1) the key
(2) The actual switch which has a cable coming out of the back.

the cable is protected and at the end, there are two cables. I don't need to know the colors because both cables have different connectors. One connector has a rounded circle tip and the other cable has a a connector that is about half an inch long and it is not flat and rounded like the other cable. Thus, I would be able to connect this switch very easily as long as someone can describe the process.

Now, I just need to ensure tha that I know some pointers and have a description so that I can install the switch p[properly.

Ok, so does anyone have the steps and the image so that I can ask my wife to read the instructions and to describe the process. Quite frankly, I know I can do this because I have done it before. Can anyone point me to a place where I can obtain the pictures and steps for installing this kill switch.

Where do you want to put it?
The kill switch works like the stop circuit by grounding the Black/Yellow wire from the power pack.
By your description, the cable with the round connector is probably intended for a grounding screw, the other to be connected to the black/yellow going to power pack, but which of the cables to connect where does not matter.
If you are installing it on the engine, the simplest way is to connect the two wires into the existing 2 wires from the stop switch, or replace the stop switch.
If installing it on a remote control with ign key, you will have to open the remote, locate the two cables mentioned above, and connect.
Below link shows the remote connection of what they call 'lanyard switch.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jacksparrow1956/2011-06-05_215955_omc_key_switch.jpg

Ok, great. thanks for the reply. my motor is a manual start. I think it might make it easier if I had mentioned that in the past. I will be taking a look at it this afternoon and will report back. I want to replace the entire switch, including the cable because I don't want to leave any old ccables in the motor.

thanks for your response.

I went to the link you provided and the page tells me that the document I am searching for could not be found.. Do you have another link?

Back