Logo

Blew another seloniod on 1976 Ford 302

Checking the diagram...the exciter wire for the alternator should tie into the ignition switch instead of going to console (gauges). The wire from the ignition to the starter passes through the solenoid, which it should, but from the solenoid terminal is a wire to a yellow plug, you mention this could be for an ammeter, ok, but there should be a connect from the same terminal to the starter instead of a yellow plug that may or may not exist? Also from the ignition terminal on the solenoid is a wire to ground, so the ignition turns on passing current to the solenoid which sends it to a yellow plug and back to the ground contact at the solenoid? I guess since many other components are trafficked through the solenoid, including the alternator (which is fine if it's been converted to DC), that there is probably opportunity for either a drain here or maybe just enough capacitance to slowly crank the starter. But this is just from the diagram I know you guys have hashed a bunch of this out in the posts.
Mike

Does anyone have a data base that would tell me the number of teeth for my ring gear for my model number of my OMC outdrive? (engine serial # is: W524031. The OMC model is #990231M - 1976 Ford 302 CID Marine 190 HP)

The engine was running before I had it overhauled, but wouldn't rev over 1000 rpm without dying - it had blowback into the valvecovers. It is the same flywheel. - wish I had counted the teeth.

There doesn't seem to be any grinding sound from the starter. I threw away the original one - a mistake. I'm sure it had nine teeth. So if I have 164 teeth, instead of 157, the teeth may be a bit bigger, I assume. The starter I have is for a 157, so the nine teeth may be a bit small, if I have a 164.

You can see videos and more data on my boat at my website at www.sport-fishing-friends.com

i think the starter for either will have the same number of teeth...

If you have the 164 tooth flywheel and a starter for the 157 tooth flywheel, the starter gear is likely binding against the flywheel. The ring gear on the larger flywheel sits closer to the block

The starter I have says: NOSE EXTENDS 2 3/8" INTO FLYWHEEL. It also says it is compatable with the starter I found at West Marine.
Any way to find out which flywheel I have?
Checking the diagram...the exciter wire for the alternator should tie into the ignition switch instead of going to console (gauges). The wire from the ignition to the starter passes through the solenoid, which it should, but from the solenoid terminal is a wire to a yellow plug, you mention this could be for an ammeter, ok, but there should be a connect from the same terminal to the starter instead of a yellow plug that may or may not exist? Also from the ignition terminal on the solenoid is a wire to ground, so the ignition turns on passing current to the solenoid which sends it to a yellow plug and back to the ground contact at the solenoid? I guess since many other components are trafficked through the solenoid, including the alternator (which is fine if it's been converted to DC), that there is probably opportunity for either a drain here or maybe just enough capacitance to slowly crank the starter. But this is just from the diagram I know you guys have hashed a bunch of this out in the posts.
Mike
Hi Mike, Thanks for responding. I am going to re-wire all the wires from the key switch to the selonoid and to the alternator and voltage regulator and will dirct that wire directly to the key switch (I) terminal.
The wire to the yellow plug is a bit of a mystery. It looks like it goes toward the console, but most of the other wires from the yellow plug goes to the tilt selonoids and we were thinking it may go to the shift safety switch, which I believe has been bypassed by a wire that goes straight from the key switch (I) to the selonoid (I) terminal. The wire to the yellow plug is connected to the (S) terminal on the selonoid, which seems a bit weird to me, What needs power just when the starter is engaged?? and when not engaged, it is grounded at the starter - unless it is the switch to the shift safety.
Do you think this could be disconnected? I did disconnect it once and it didn't seem to make any difference - the only thing I didn't check was if the shift worked. The tilt worked and all the gauges. I put it back, since it didn't seem to help my slow crank. See my last schematic. If you have any idea about this, please let me know.

Great idea Neal, I would do the same, pick a starting point and work it one wire at a time. You will probably discover some things and realize the purpose of the yellow mystery along the way...oh and I noticed the blue wire from the voltage regulator (should be low amp at that point) gets funneled to the gauges. Make sure this also connects to the ignition switch accessory terminal, should be fine as it's the low amp side of the D+ at that point. Pretty sure this is the dummy light we all see when turning the key to the ACC position, indicating the system is charging.

Thanks Mike,
I was going to route that blue wire (it is actually purple) straight to the selonoid (I) terminal, as it connects to the key (I). Attached is the new schematic of how I plan to wire it, hopefully this weekend. Not sure if there is a a dummy light, and I don't think I have an ACC position - the key just has OFF, IGNITION and START
302 schematic as-is.jpg

I did the wiring per the diagram. All new marine grade wiring between the key and selonoid, selonoid and alternator and to the choke with the appropriate connectors; as well as all battery and starter wires are custom marine grade zero gauge (oversized) that I bought and put in last week. The key, starter and selonoid are new. All connections are in new condition.

I turned it over with the spark plugs still out with the same results: In 20 seconds of cranking, the battery went down from 12.8 to 11.3, and has the same slow crank and started to slow down. The battery was not fully charged to 13.6, but still...

I did the four voltage drop tests for slow crank in the Seloc manual, and they came out almost the same as before I corrected any of the wiring - terrible! As follows:
Test 1: Battery positve terminal to the battery terminal of the starter motor - HUGE drop from 12.8 to .3 (should be less than .5 drop). The handling is to clean up the connections - they can't get any cleaner.
Test 2: Battery positive to positive post of selonoid - drop 0 to - .11 (should be less than .1) Pretty close, and the only test that was better than last time, when it was .3, The handling is cable too thin - NOT! or the relay connection is corroded,- NOT!
Test 3: Battery positive to the starter terminal of the selonoid - HUGE drop from 12.8 to .3 (should be less than .3 drop). The handling is to get a new selonoid, as the contacts are burnt. This could well be the case, as I have burnt out 4 other selonoids in the past few months. Usually they would quit engaging and you just heard a click from the selonoid, this one still turns over the engine. I have been using the cheeper $12 selonoids, as I blew out the $40 Mercury one just as quickly.
Test 4: Battery negative to engine ground - 12.9 to 11.4 (should be less than .1) This is worse than previous tests, which were .7, and this one was 1.5. The handling is to clean up the ground connections. There must be something going on there.

I'm not sure how those drops could possibly be so huge, like maybe I am doing something wrong. I had the coil wire disconnected, ignition on, and used a remote switch at the selonoid to turn it over and noted the drop on a volt meter with aligator clips.

I probably need a new selonoid, maybe a new starter. Wiring is absolutely new with new connections. Maybe wrong starter. I'm not sure if it is productive to get the starter tested if it is the wrong starter, or with these dismal tests. Where do I go to find out how many teeth are in my ring gear (157 or 164) and what is the correct starter? (The OMC outdrive model is #990231M - engine serial # is: W524031, 1976 Ford 302 CID Marine 190 HP) My recollection of counting the teeth is that there were more than expected, like I was expecting 157 and got over 160, but that is rather subjective. My starter is for 157, and I may well have 164. I haven't found a starter that says it is for 164 - either they don't give this specification, or it says it is for 157.

I haven't purchased the IR testor, but it is probably time. I'm not sure how hot is too hot.

It also makes you wonder about the battery, with so much drop in voltage so quickly, but it did the same slow crank when I hooked up my truck battery, with the other batteries isolated. And I did test them with a load tester and they were in the green. I could test again.

Any ideas?

not exactly sure how you did the voltage drop tests but something is definitely wrong....I prefer to make the measurements so you can see the 'drop' directly( ie, meter RED to + terminal on battery, meter BLK to BAT terminal of solenoid, etc).... and my guess is the majority of the drop is across the solenoid...

Assuming the new cables are good, they can be eliminated...and you have swapped batteries (assuming the truck battery works in the truck) so that can be checked off the list as well.

That leaves the starter and the solenoid...if you have changed the wiring since the last solenoid change, you could try another one ...if not, I would be inclined to get the starter tested before going further... if it draws too much current, the solenoid will likely burn out again in short order... It will also let you examine the ring gear to see if the starter 'matches' it...and to see if there are any other interference issues...

You can also make the "educated guess" on your ring gear count by measuring the offset from the back end of the block to the front of the ring gear...if its about 7/16", you have the 157 tooth ring gear...and the starter's drive gear should be easily visible when viewed from the opening in the nose cone...

I will order a new cheep selonoid.
I do have the last starter and I just went out to see what the teeth look like. They look like they engaged well; they look like they engaged the whole ring gear, as the gear extends out about a half inch to the gear when engaged and there is about the first half inch was used, leaving the rear 1/8 of an inch un-used, and I saw no wear between the engaged and unengaged areas. It wasn't a marine starter and had the same slow crank, and a mechanic recomended I get a new one, thus my current starter. I may have to take out the starter anyway.
I searched for that starter and didn't find the exact one, but some similar ones said flywheel: 157/164 teeth, as if it didn't make any difference??
Here is what it said: 2-bolt mounting. Starter has a 3/4 in. offset and fits applications with automatic transmissions using a 157 or 164 tooth ring gear or manual transmissions using a 157 tooth ring gear (Normally 5-speeds). This replaces OEM starters with a 'nose' that extends 2-3/8 in. past the mounting surface.
Any point in going to a PMS (permanent magnet starter)?

i just re-read your post from last night....the engine spins over slowly with the spark plugs out?

And the engine has never been started (from an earlier thread)??

so, who rebuilt the block and what work was done?

Yes, it spins slowly even with the sparkplugs out.
I have not been able to start the engine since the rebuild. I have been the mechanic, so I suspect more what I have done in putting all the components together from a bare block and heads, than I do the professionals who rebuilt tmy engine at United Machine shop in Sunland,CA.
I Have the reciept and it is a bit hard to make out, but says "Complete rebuilt engine with all new parts. New lifters and timing set, new gasket set, new ring rod and main bearings, new high performance oil pump"
That's all it says, but they listed out this right at the end, and may not be all they did.
I rebuilt it from the intake manifold on top, the water pump in the front , and the flywheel in the back on....
It has great spark, gas squirting throgh the carb, timing closer and no boom boom boom.
I have a whole write-up of what I have been through before our recent changes. Here is a portion of it:

The engine has been totally overhauled: 1976 FORD Marine 302 CID Winsor V8 engine with GT 40 heads giving it 190 horsepower and a 55 gal. stainless steel gas tank. It has a new electronic ignition, starter, fuel pump, line and filter; voltage regulator, water pump, high-capacity oil pump and filter and a new four-barrel carburetor – all connected to a fully overhauled OMC outdrive.

The overhaul was done professionally by United Machine shop in Sunland, Ca., and I have been the acting mechanic, re-assembling all the components from the bare block and heads. Maybe I screwed-up, as I have not been able to get the engine started.

Symptoms: It is slow cranking. I had done some load tests and found that it needed a new seleniod and the connections cleaned up. The new seloniod came in and I put it in and I also cleaned up and sanded all the connections to the battery, starter and selinoid, and put on some dielectric grease for a good connection. Tried starting it and the same exact thing, slow cranking. In fact after two ten second tries it was down to 12.9 volts (from 14.2 volts) and stopped cranking altogether! My F-150 will crank link crazy with that voltage. I bypassed my batteries and wired it straight to my truck battery and got the same slow cranking results. The starter is new, about four months old, and my selonoid is brand new (my fourth one). It may be hard to crank because the bearings and seals are new and need to be broken in, but still...

On the cranking problem, this is the fourth new starter selonoid I put in and the second new starter motor, the current starter motor I bought about four months ago. All the wiring and connections are new and are large. The ignition switch is also new. The batteries are good and fairly new, tested under load, although it seems they should give more than 10 seconds of cranking time. There isn’t much else to the cranking system – it’s all new. I have solar panels and a solar charger that charges the two batteries up to 14.2 volts. Maybe this is too much. I crank it for about 10 seconds and the voltage goes down to 13.0 and it cranks slower. Another crank and it gets to 12.8 volts and it stops. My F 150 will crank like hell with that much voltage. It should crank down to about 12.0 volts, I believe.

The second problem, other than the cranking problem, is that the motor doesn’t start at all, not even a hit, and has never started since it was overhauled. It turns over, but doesn’t hit at all. It was backfiring, but I think I handled that problem by re-installing the intake manifold. I found a new aluminum intake manifold on Amazon with closed ports, like the original one, and installed it with new gaskets and sealer, and it is still not starting, but it doesn’t seem to be popping or back-firing anymore. I hope I got a good seal on the new intake manifold

I re-checked the spark and it is great! I re-checked the gas and it is squirting nicely into the primaries. The timing is close. But no boom boom boom - not one hit.

The timing has been verified multiple times and is set at factory recommendations of 10 degrees before Top Dead Center. I have verified it by multiple thumb tests on the #1 spark plug and it gets pressure from the compression stroke just before the rotor passes the #1 lead and the timing light shows 10 degrees advance, and is marked in silver on the timing marks. Right now, I do not have an exact setting on it, as I have been moving it around a bunch. It should be close enough to get it started with a twist of the rotor, and once running should be more precisly adjusted.

The spark is now strong. I went through the wiring schematics, opened up the wiring harness so all could be seen, and found and replaced some burnt wires and most connectors. I also totally bypassed the ballast resistor, since I changed to the electronic ignition with an HEI distributer (65,000 volt coil), joining the wire from the the ignition to the coil wire and the choke wire at the (I) terminal on the selenoid (see wiring schematic below), so those both now get the full 12 volts when the ignition is turned on, unaffected now by the antiquated ballast resistor. I also put in the proper Boush iridium spark plugs for an older 302 (Boush #9659), which has a wider gap of .052 (was .030) and now it seems to be getting great spark as measured with an adjustablle spark testor and a bright wide spark at the plug. I made an exact schematic of the electrical as it exists on the engine (attached below), and I believe the wiring now to be messed up somehow at the selonoid, and I am not sure where the wiring to the consle goes, as it is hard to follow the wires.

The gas can be seen going through the jets in the primarys of the new four-barrel carburator when goosed. I had previously cleaned out the stainless steel tank and put a new fuel line, new one way check-valve, new fuel filter, new fuel pump and the new four-barrel carburator with the factory settings. Gas gushes out of the fuel line when detached and the engine turned over. The gas was new last spring, and I did put in Marine Stabil at the proper rate. I have tried putting some new gas in the carburator to see if it would make a difference, but it didn’t. Nor did starter fluid work. The only time where the engine hit at all was one time when I was pumping the throttle like crazy, and it hit maybe three times. That is when I decided to change out the carb. I have the old Holley two-barrel and I did rebuild it myself, but thought maybe I did something wrong, or it just wasn’t getting enough gas, as the old intake manifold had to be replaced and the new aluminum one has much more volume in it’s chambers and was for a four barrel, so I had added an adaptor for the Holley two-barrel. I since have changed it out to the new four-barrel, which is squirting gas and set at the factory settings. Once running it should be adjusted more precisely.

The batteries are two fairly new large marine barteries wired in parallel, both checked with a tester under load and they checked-out fine, although they seem to run down from fully charged at 14.2 volts to 13.0 volts very fast, when the starter starts to slow down – this only takes about 10 seconds of cranking. I did put in another new starter a month ago, as one mechanic thought that was the reason why it was turning over so slowly, causing back-fires. Both batteries are dual purpose, starting and deep cycle; one is a Duralast (Autozone) AGM M31 (850 CCA) and the other is an Optima Blue top, maybe a bit smaller. They are switched so I can isolate them. I have them set up on a solar system that keeps them fully charged to 14.2 volts at all times when the sun is out. Maybe I should get a new dedicated starting battery, but it seems the 850 cold cranking amps should turn it over well, and I did hook it up my truck battery,s eparate from the other batteries and it did the same thing.

The solar system is separate from the console or engine, being connected only by the battery. The solar panels go to the solar charger, which charges the batteries and powers the new fuse bus that just powers some lights and other accessories, not connectred with the console or engine, except by the batteries and some new switches on the console.

Conclusions:

Gas, spark, timing – it should run! But it doesn’t - right now it is thought to be due to slow cranking.

The whole cranking system is nearly new with large wires with clean connections, so it should crank nicely, but it is very slow and doesn’t last long. It will only crank for a few seconds at 14.2 volts until the batteries get to about 12.8 Volts, when it stops cranking.. The last selonoid only lasted a few trys until it just clicked and didn’t engage and smoked. So something is wrong with the electrical.

NOTE: The ballast resistor was totall bypassed due to the installation of the electronic ignition, which compensates for this. I joined the wire from the the ignition to the coil wire and the choke wire at the (I) terminal on the selenoid, so those both now get the full 12 volts when the ignition is turned on, unaffected now by the antiquated ballast resistor. I am pretty sure that these attachments to the (I) terminal on the selonoid are correct.

You can see on my website: www.sport-fishing-friends.com Go to the page called Nealie's Boat.

, and put on some dielectric grease for a good connection....
Dielectric grease is an INSULATOR and should NOT be applied to electrical connections when they are made...applying that grease over top of a connection (after it is made) may help in excluding moisture.
.... I have solar panels and a solar charger that charges the two batteries up to 14.2 volts. Maybe this is too much.....
depends upon your batteries...newer technology batteries are more sensitive to charging systems than the old classic lead-acid cells. You have said repeatedly that the batteries pass a load test so they can't be in too bad of shape...

do you have any idea how much torque needs to be applied to the crankshaft to get it to rotate?

given the battery voltage drop (in a short period of time), the multiple solenoids, the new wiring, and a complete engine overhaul, I'm thinking there may be something assembled incorrectly inside the block...getting insight into how much force is needed to move the crankshaft is a good next step...one bearing cap going on backwards can do things like this...

another thing that came to mind...and I don't have a lot of experience here...is that since the outdrive was redone, its possible the issue is there...so it may be worth the time to remove the drive to see if the 'engine drag' is still present...

I did not use the dielectric grease on the new connections, thank goodness. Didn't know it was an insulator!
I got a new solar charge controller and it charges up to 13.6 and is set for AGM batteries. This is separate to the console gauges. tilt and etc., and is only connected through the battery, so doesn't affect the charging, cranking or ignition systems, except to charge the battery.
I believe the engine was running after I rebuilt the outdrive and before the overhaul, as I have a short video of it running in the water.
I will put a torque wrench on the crankshaft to get that data.

I put a torque wrench to the crankshat and set it as light as I can set it and it turned over the engine - didn't just spin around freely, but the wrench is the kind that you set to a number of foot lbs, and it slips when you get to that setting, It was set to about 10 foot pounds

it would never hurt to prime the oil galley...that said, will the little resistance the rotating mass has, I wouldn't said it is essential at this point...

I think it would be more meaningful to do the voltage drop measurements from point to point...first would be from + battery terminal (meter's RED lead) to battery lug on solenoid (meter's black lead)...then move down and measure the drop across the solenoid...then from the starter's lug on the solenoid to the starter...and finally starter's case to - battery terminal...the key is to measure the magnitude of the voltage differences and don't worry about their 'sign'...

And if the engine spins over easily, it wouldn't hurt to record the data for future troubleshooting...as well as the battery's voltage at the start and the end of the test...and then repeating it with the spark plugs in...

You are referring to the red cap, yes, I believe it is a vacuum advance capped off. What should be done with it? Probably a tube to the carb.
I don't believe my other distruibuter had one.
And, by the way, thank you for meticulously going through my data and perhaps finding a glaring out-point.

vacuum advance unit on distributor = auto unit = extremely UNSAFE in a marine environment....if you don't believe me, ask you marine insurance agent....

I would replace it with a marine rated unit....

The big difference between the two rating classes is that the marine units are 'sealed' so that any gasoline vapors can't get inside the distributor where the spark would set off an explosion....that's why you will never see a vacuum advance unit on a standard production marine engine...

I got into the same loop that I got into when I ordered that distributer: The cheeper marine ones are only maade for the chevy, not the ford. The Pertonix are over $400 and Amazon won't ship it to my address - California is so wierd. I threw away my old Prestolite distributer, or I would just get the Pertonix module, silly me. For now, let's just get this thing started. I will put the selonoid in and do the tests, probably on Monday.

Okay, the results are in! Same as the last results - Terrible!

I did the four voltage drop tests for slow crank in the Seloc manual, and they came out almost the same as before I corrected any of the wiring - terrible! As follows:
Test 1: Battery positve terminal to the battery terminal of the starter motor - HUGE drop from 12.9 to .3 (should be less than .5 drop). The handling is to clean up the connections - they can't get any cleaner.
Test 2: Battery positive to positive post of selonoid - drop 0 to .1 (should be less than .1) Pretty much just made it, and the only test that was better than last time, when it was .1.1, The handling is cable too thin - NOT! or the relay connection is corroded,- NOT!
Test 3: Battery positive to the starter terminal of the selonoid - HUGE drop from 13.3 to .3 (should be less than .3 drop). The handling is to get a new selonoid, as the contacts are burnt. This is not the case, as theselonoid is brand new.
Test 4: Battery negative to engine ground - 13.3 to 11.1 (should be less than .1) This is worse than previous tests, which were 1.5, .7, and this one was 2.1. The handling is to clean up the ground connections. There must be something going on there.
I believe you suggested another test between the bat + and the starter case, it was 12.8 to 10.4. Not sure what it should be.

I'm not sure how those drops could possibly be so huge, like maybe I am doing something wrong. I had the coil wire disconnected, and made the connections with aligator clips, turned the ignition on, turned over the starter and noted the drop on a volt meter.

Other than the starter, the only things connected to th selonoid is that mystery wire to the yellow plug, and there is a 10 gauge wire that powers the tilt selonoids from the Battery +. It doesn't look like it is very good shape, but I have never had a problem with the tilt or shift systems which are back there.

So the ground could be improved, somehow - It is a clean connection to the block with paint sanded off, it is a new connection to the battery, the 0 gauge wire is new with new connectors. ???

So then there is the starter. The last starter did the same exact thing - slow crank, so a mechanic suggested I get a new one, thus my current starter. The original one was thrown away, silly me again.

I guess I have to take it out and see what the teeth look like and get it tested. Correct starter - incorrect??? The teeth probably look like the last one, which seemed pretty good. If it tests out fine, it is doing what it was designed to do, and it is the wrong starter - needs to crank faster.
Hopefully it test bad, and need a new starter, but which one. Is a $400 starter any better than a $100 one? There is that situation that I can only get a few seconds of even the slow crank, until it slows way dow, Hopefully that is from the starter and the new correct starter will handle it.

Over.

My guess is these data were obtained after changing the solenoid?

What is the part number(s) for the solenoid(s) you have been burning up???

My suggestion, earlier, was to make the voltage drop measurements across each component so any suspect is easily identified. Your tests #2 & #3 show similar results but don't isolate the bad component... #2 &3 also contradict #4 so something is not as stated...

The PMGR starters are usually cost effective: they are lighter, they draw less current and they produce more torque than the 'standard' starter designs....that said, if you have an issue with the starting circuit wiring, it isn't the way to cure the issue(s).

I am sorry if I didn't make that clear, but yes, these are new tests after I changed to a brand new selonoid and the tests came out almost as terribly identical. So that seems to rule out the selonoid.

The original part number of the selonoid is no longer available, 0980801 replaced by 0982189 - Solenoid, Starter Motor Unavailable as well.
Some replacements suggested by Marineengines.com that I used is:

Mercury Marine Solenoid For 985064 18-5801 89-76416A1​

I Blew out each of these $40 selenoids, and decided to go for a cheeper $12 one for a Ford 302, and they all blew out equally as fast.

I may need the test you suggested spelled out for a novice. It seemed to me that these tests from the manual were pretty much what you were asking for.

I would welcome a PMGR starter, if we had an idea of an exact marine replacement.
If we have ruled out everything else, the PMGR may be a solution to my starting problems, seems to me. Especially if the starter checks out bad, Something I don't understand about them is it seems they have the selonoid attached to the side of them, but some still seem to need a relay, which seems like a double switch to me. Could you clarify? You may have to help me with the wiring, or if you have a schematic,

Back