Logo

Bilge color

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"My whole engine room in my 30

"My whole engine room in my 3067 is painted black.....Is this the factory color if so Why would they do that. I cant tell if there are any leaks or anything of that nature...No stains etc... I have to pull the engines soon and was wondering what is the best White bilge/ engine compartment paint??? This boat is new to me....1989 3067 with twin 260 mercs stern drive.. awesome boat got it for 15000.00 need minor repairs... I think i stole it
"

"John, White is a bit too much

"John, White is a bit too much unless you own a show boat. My Dancer has a Grey bilge/Engine Bay which cleans up beautifully yet hides dirt well. Now, if you were to do the Bilge the same color as the engines, that would look cool! A little detailing, nice! I'd use a two part epoxy type of paint and spray it on. Al W."

"Ayuh,....

I agree that Whi

"Ayuh,....

I agree that White is best left to Show Boats,...

Mine is bare aluminum, but otherwise, a beige, light grey, or Something other than Black would be My choice...

Rustolium enamel is the paint I'd use...."

"John:

Before you put the e

"John:

Before you put the engines back consider installing LED lighting at the floor and other levels of the engine room. They draw practically "0" amps and run off 18 ga. wire. They are small enough to be installed on the engines so you won't need a flash light to take a look. I put them all over my 19' for floor, storage and engine compartment lighting both direct and indirect. I'll send you some emails."

"..."Why would they paint

"..."Why would they paint the engine black?"
They paint them black so you won't notice the leak while the engine is under warranty. Years ago, each manufacturer had their own specific engine color...Chevy orange, Pontiac blue, Buick green etc. At one point in the early eighties, some corporate bean counter analyzed warranty costs and decided that if all engines were black, fewer customers would spot minor oil leaks and seek warranty service. A lot of money was saved and now most engines are painted black."

"I like the lighted compartmen

"I like the lighted compartment idea, Guy. I'll be pulling my engine within the next year or so. That'll be put on the work list.
WRT to color, you definately want something light. More importantly, spend the required time to get all the dirt, oil, and grease out, and use an epoxy based (high solids) paint... more expensive, but it's money well spent in keeping your stringers and fiberglass preserved."

"Guy, I really like the idea o

"Guy, I really like the idea of LED for all they offer, but. I'm wondering about Gas fumes and an Insurance aspect if they cause a problem? Al W."

LED lights are sealed and wate

LED lights are sealed and waterproof. No vapor problem w/them in the bilge.

"Thanks for the ebay links, Gu

"Thanks for the ebay links, Guy. I'm thinking about 3 of any of those would have that bilge shining like the sun."

Wow I love the LED idea. never

Wow I love the LED idea. never thought of that it will be a big help when it come to changing the oil and such. And I will be installing the drain tube thing from the oil pan to ease the oil changing process also.. as for the color I was thinking about a light blue to match the boat. why they painted it black I don't know but it sucks IMHO

Make sure you get the drain pl

Make sure you get the drain plug that is chained to the end of the oil drain tube.

The LEDs are great; will make great transom swim lights.

"yeah i understand why but it

"yeah i understand why but it just sounds bad... any ways how many lights should I put. I was thinking the more the better and maybe a set of blue and a set of white. blue just to show off a little cause the interior of the engine bay is getting redone, and cleaned up. like new thru-hull seacocks and all new hoses and wiring etc. I want to make it as clean as possible and after all the work I want to be able to show it off. Just a little competition between a friend and me. Any thing else ya'll can suggest to make it just a little over the top????? oh yeah no chrome..we have a bet on who can make it look the best without chrome..."

Back