Logo

bfp60a mil codes help

Zoomyzoom

Mil light comes on around 2 minutes after startup. Did the HondaDude paper clip method to see what code flashes and it gave me the sequence below. Can’t seem to find what these mean. Motor starts fine, idles fine, runs fine, like nothing is wrong.

Any suggestions?

7 short flashes (4 seconds total for all 7 flashes)
3 second pause
4 long flashes (6 seconds total for these 4 flashes)
1 second pause
1 short flash

Hi,
No expert here but the code chart I have makes it look as if you have a
code 7: Description:
throttle position sensor disconnected... OR.... throttle position wiring open or short circuit....OR....
Faulty throttle position sensor.

Also, code 41: description:
Oxygen sensor heater circuit disconnected at plug...OR....
Oxygen sensor heater wire open or shorted....OR....faulty oxygen sensor heater circuit....OR....
Spark plug misfire.

Just a guess but I doubt that the throttle position sensor AND the O2 sensor would become unplugged at the same time so this sounds like there might be a wiring issue. But I have no experience troubleshooting that outboard nor do I have a wire schematic to see what might be common to both sensors.

There is the spark plug misfire description so you might look into that.

Also, this sounds very familiar to me and I think there was another recent post that was similar. Although I don't remember what horsepower or model. Sorry.

Clear the codes, run motor until alarm goes and recheck. From your description it sounds like a failed O2 sensor

Clear the codes, run motor until alarm goes and recheck. From your description it sounds like a failed O2 sensor
How do you clear the code?

I tried doing the paperclip trick, put killswitch clip on, put the key in, turn it on but didn’t start the motor, then clicked the kill switch 5 times and held on the 5th. All done in less than 20 seconds.

Nothing cleared.

Any suggestions?

Key off, kill switch out. Key on, activate kill switch at 2 sec intervals until you hear a long beep. Confirm you're bridging the lime green and black wires?

The only reason it wouldn't clear is if there's a permanent fault, as in an open circuit to a sensor. Do you get a long beep after cycling the kill switch on and off?

Back