Logo

BF8 8Hp Honda Visual I/D

dr.syn

Hi all. I have just purchased an old BF8 on Ebay but all I/D is missing. It has the sloping joint seal cowl, roller cam/pull rod gearchange, french and English instructions on the flywheel cover. Is there a way of getting an approx age from any physical changes that happened over the years?
Cheers
Mick

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 123
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 86
Both of my old Hondas have a number stamped on the block. That is looking at the engine from where the boat would be with the hood off at the bottom of the block is a full serial number. It's a guess but yours may well have the same.

Thanks Deanmck, found it - BACE 1204955 Searched a bit on Google but can't find it yet. I'm guessing it's pre 1997. Does anyone have any info on this number.
Cheers
Mick

alumarine is right on.

It could be as new as 1997. In those years, Honda did not have model years and that serial number could apply to any 8 HP 1990 - 1997.

Any of those years would have a model number of BF8AM, as alumarine indicated.

So...in looking up parts, search by the model number.

Mike

Thanks, hopefully I'll never need spares for it LOL, it seems to be running very smooth. I just need to fabricate a new bracket for it (my old engine was a lighter 7.5 Mercury), then I can get back out sailing again.
Thanks again

Just as an after thought.
As this motor is new to you. Do you know if it has been serviced?
I'm thinking that while you are fabricating your bracket it would be diligent to do a service if you are unsure of whether this has been done.
Oil & filter change, gear oil change, new plugs (NGK ONLY), impeller change and last but not least check your belt for signs of wear.
These simple and inexpensive service items will help ensure many many years of joy from your new Honda.
You have brought a great little motor and she will with love and care, see you right for a very long time.

Dean.

Thanks Deanmck, I was assured it was regularly serviced but i have now ordered plugs and impellor, and will change oil. The belt looks good as well.
Thanks
Mick

Back