Logo

BF75S acts like it vapor locks

umpquaangler

I have a BF75S and it starts up perfectly when cold. After warming up and running for a while it will not restart until it "cools" down a little. There is good warm water coming from the pee hole and the engine doesnt feel real hot but it just wont start. It acts like it vapor locks. If I pull the cowling and let it cool off some for about an hour it starts right up again. Any recomendations.? I need 100% reliability when starting on our river.

Did it run good without cowling ?

Good morning talklessridemore. The engine starts easily when cool. Taking the cowling off only sped up the cooling process. I have taken the motor to a mechanic and it took him about 15 minutes to diagnose the problem. BLOWN HEAD GASKET
After running the motor and letting the thermostat open the motor ran a little hot, you could hold your hand on the head without burning. He shut the engine off and tried to restart. NO GO>
Pulled a spark plug, looked good. Pulled the second spark plug and BINGO, tan discoloration with a little bit of water vapor. Placed finger over the spark plug hole and pulled the starter rope and moisture on the finger tip.
He agreed to tear into the engine and replace the head gasket after he does some other diagnosis after he has the head off. I also asked him to put in a new thermostat. Hopefully after all of this I will have a reliable engine. One additional thing. There is a cool neon blue light that shines on the tell tale stream. I think this is really cool, so you can see if water is running in early light.
I bought the motor on line from Craigs list from a guy in Red Bluff California. I will call him this morning and let him know the condition the motor was in when he sold it to me as a GOOD RUNNING OUTBOARD. It should have said good when running. It is a trust thing when you buy used stuff. I trust the guy would not be selling his problem. Thank you for your response. I will let you know what the entire repair amounted to. Aloha.

I hope he did the leak down test first. It could be head gasket or head assy. Spend 20 min doing leakdown test. It can give you alot of informations.. Good luck

Back