Logo

BF60

walleyejack1

I have a BF60, not sure of the year, 2011-2012, dealer tells me it was sold in 2012. Having an issue with wot, starts fine, runs great, right up to 3/4 throttle, wide open it stutters. Have checked water separator, have changed fuel filer, have had the injectors checked out, still sputters but not the same as before. It seems to be running way lean, top cyl elctrodes are almost white, others are a little tan colored, am almost at wits end, don t really want to take to a stealership, but may have to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TIA

Hi walleyejack1,
Welcome to the forum that wasn't working over the weekend.

Your issue sounds very familiar since I think there are two other similar cases on BF60's currently working here.

Even though you seem to have discovered signs of a lean condition and I encourage you to look into the operation of the VST for that, you might also want to read the post by Goneagain4 about the issue with his 2017 BF60. He has reported some progress and it could be useful info for you.

Good luck.

Hi walleyejack1,
Welcome to the forum that wasn't working over the weekend.

Your issue sounds very familiar since I think there are two other similar cases on BF60's currently working here.

Even though you seem to have discovered signs of a lean condition and I encourage you to look into the operation of the VST for that, you might also want to read the post by Goneagain4 about the issue with his 2017 BF60. He has reported some progress and it could be useful info for you.

Good luck.
thanks.. have searched a lot of threads, don t see any similar to my issue. Goneagain4 has an over heating issue..

Your issue sounds like fuel starvation. It's fairly common for the grommet seal on the delivery side of the high pressure fuel pump to swell up slightly and restrict fuel flow. Either confirm this by running the motor with a fuel pressure gauge connect to confirm this ( you will see rapid pressure fluctuations at high rpm) or just remove the hp fuel pump and trim the top off the grommet and refit, simple, no parts needed provided the bowl o ring is okay.

so the filter was changed, injectors done, diagnostics done.. took for a test ride this a.m. before driving 1.25 hr home. same thing, took a video of it and went back to the shop,, I always had this in the back of my mind, looked at it and said, it s on the rev limiter. "We will look into it and see why, and call the Honda rep, he will know" So i guess is wait and see.. maybe someone has changed the prop on it for carrying 3 or 4 people and it wouldn t rev that high, but with 2 in it, it does..
so my next mission is what is the proper pitch prop for a 16ft Sylvan with the BF60. when one buys a motor from Honda, the prop is not included, have to specify what you want, and they suggest one I guess.. So i just need to run it at 3/4 throttle to avoid hitting it. It hole shots nice tho. LOL
thanks to everyone for their opinions and thoughts.

Back