Logo

BF5A throttle will only open half way

jkreiche

My BF5A throttle hits a stop at about half throttle. It happened during my last time on the water. Any suggestions what to look for be appreciated.

Hi,

I don't know but these do have a lot of parts and pieces associated with the throttle and the neutral start "lockout" setup. I would take a look at items 6 thru 15 in the parts list link below and see if anything seems out of place or broken there.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...sa-vin-bads-2500001-to-bads-2599999/handlebar

We used these as rentals many years ago and had much trouble with bending and breakage when a customer would forget to put the transmission in neutral and then pull too hard on the recoil starter rope trying to crank over the engine.

Good luck.

Hi, Thanks for your help and here is what I found. You were accurate about where to look. This happened at night so when I had a chance to look at it in the daylight the problem was that the throttle is blocked by the shift lever under the cover to only allow half throttle in neutral. I had the motor engaged in forward but didn't have the shift lever all the forward so the throttle was limited to about half. When the shift lever is moved all the way forward it works correctly and allows full throttle. The gear shift has always been hard to move but I thought that was just the way it was. During the off season I'll lubricate all the associated parts to try to make it work easier. When the throttle is turned there are a lot of moving parts.

Yes, of course! I knew that but had forgotten how it worked. Time and age doesn't help with memory.

I'm very glad you spotted it!

Good little outboards those but, as you say, lots of moving parts in the throttle/shift system.

Happy boating to you!

Back