Logo

BF5A blasts out of pee hole

Hello,
Being totally new with a 4 stroke Honda the engine runs super well after a good clean up. I already love this good old 'blob blob blob' 4 stroke sound. It reminds me of my XR600R. :eek:

But I'm kind of confused here, the water coming out of the pee hole is really a blast! At high revs it's really strong. Compared to the other hole a bit lower (I don't know how that's one called) on the tail there's nearly no water coming out. In fact sometimes there's coming steam out of that port.

Steam isn't a good indicator and with my other outboards (Evinrudes 2 stroke) there's more water peeing out of that 'secondary' hole.

The fact that the pee hole on this Honda exists underneath the engine block I have a slight doubt it's a good indicator. (Yes it indicates the impeller is working fine, but is there also water going to the engine head?).

The water that by-passes the thermostat, where does that exit? The thermostat works fine, I checked it in boiling water.

Thanks from France,

Michiel

Is the water coming out of telltail hot,can you hold your hand in it indefinately ? can you hold your hand on cylinder head for a 6 second count without burning fingers she's running fine. Try using an infrared digital temp. gun on her. S Most of water exits out of the prop.

The water telltale for most outboards comes from the bottom of the powerhead. There are some, like Mercury two strokes that is tapped off of the thermostat area....and will not pee until the thermostat opens.

Your pee stream sounds good. The 5 HP's do spray out the telltale when the impeller is working good.
The hole lower than that is an exhaust relief and you will see steam and/or exhaust and/or some water come out.
The exhaust with the water going past the thermostat goes out just above the prop out of a small opening that hangs down from the cavitation plate.

If you question whether water is getting up past the head, take the thermostat cover off and thermostat out and run the engine. If all is well, you will see a good stream of water coming out. Remember, that is just a test, so do not run it for long.

If you can measure the temperature, measure it at the thermostat housing. Thermostat opens around 50 - 54 degrees C.

I think you are going to find that all is well...but it is always good to know that for sure through your own testing.

Mike

Thx guys!
So today I ran the engine with the thermostat cover off and thermostat out and indeed there's a lot of water pumped so the head is being cooled. :) The motor is running really smooth, and the cilinder head is hot but not too hot to touch. The water coming out of the pee hole isn't hot at all. Luke warm at best. But the lake is very cold this time of year, 14 degrees Celsius at most.

All in all it seems in pretty good condition.

This winter I'll take the gear selector apart 'cause is very stiff to move. Apparently a known Honda problem due to swollen bushings. Too bad the power head needs to be removed for just two bushings...... :(

Yes, that shifter bushing to be a major headache with the 5's. Honda does good work but they aren't perfect....yet��

Yes, I find the whole build quality a little less good compared to my way older Evinrude's (1980's). No seized bolts, rust or whatever. I have the slight idea these self-tapping bolts from Honda are a good way to save money in the factory but leaves the owner with a quite fragile thread once it's start seizing. Anyway, no motor is perfect.

Last question; does a 4-stroke run at lower temperatures? I find that the thermostat opens at quite low temperatures (50-55 degrees C) compared to my 2-strokes (60-65 degrees C). Is there a reason for that?
It seems to me the engine oil stays that way quite cold so less lubricating and quite important the water vapour absorbed by the oil doesn't evaporate (and becomes more acid)???? But then again, you should think the Honda engineers did a good job. ;)

Yes, the engine temp subject is a question that the Honda engineering dept. Should answer. It may be something like they expect these particular outboards may be operated in such conditions and loading that additional cooling is a way to make sure that they hold up. I don't know.
I do know that some models have more than one temperature range thermostat available and other models have had thermostat temperature specifications "modified" from time to time.

I don't know if either would be true of the 5hp.

Yep,
For the moment the engine runs with a thermostat from an Evinrude until the original one comes. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Here's just a pic of the motor pissing in the lake! ;)

p5pb14159281.jpg

Looks good......but what I found more interesting in that photo is what looks like a "running" backstay anchored to the stern pulpit. Is that how they're equipping them these days?
It looked strange to me at first but after staring at it a bit, I thought "why not"!

Is that how they're equipping them these days?

Well the boat is from 1977 so equipping them these days is somehow of an understatement!! :D:D:D:D:cool:

It's a small sailboat with a lightweight mast. Too much wind (and pressure) on the fore sail will result in 'bending' slight the mast which results in a 'sloppy' fore sail with less rendement. Hence the "running backstay".

Back