Logo

BF50 warning beep

Dannbran

Noticed this for the first time today, beeps with a pause in between and it only happened when running full throttle, when I brought it down to idle it stopped immediately. Couldn’t tell if one of the lights was on as the the plastic over them is weathered but my son said he thought it was the top which I believe would be oil pressure. Everything seemed to work fine, motor was peeing etc. This is on a 16 ft Carolina skiff (bought both last summer/fall), gets on plane fairly easy with top speed around 32 mph, but if the tach is working correctly it is running @5-6k rpm’s when at full throttle. Any ideas what would cause the warning and is that normal to run at such a high rpm at full throttle?

Noticed this for the first time today, beeps with a pause in between and it only happened when running full throttle, when I brought it down to idle it stopped immediately. Couldn’t tell if one of the lights was on as the the plastic over them is weathered but my son said he thought it was the top which I believe would be oil pressure. Everything seemed to work fine, motor was peeing etc. This is on a 16 ft Carolina skiff (bought both last summer/fall), gets on plane fairly easy with top speed around 32 mph, but if the tach is working correctly it is running @5-6k rpm’s when at full throttle. Any ideas what would cause the warning and is that normal to run at such a high rpm at full throttle?
I would buy an owner manual for that motor. It could be something as simple as change the oil.

Also, yes WOT is normally 5500-6k for most outboards. While it is good to run it at WOT for periods of time, some people are in the camp of not for extended periods, while others say drive it like you stole it.

Me, I'm in the former

Yeah, just changed the oil (both motor and lower unit). May be a week or two before I can get back out, but will see what it does not running at hardly wot.

saw that on some other threads and was wondering that too. I did mess with the trim trying to find the sweet spot and got it high enough it started porpoising pretty good. I’ll definitely keep an eye on it the next time we get out and see if I am able to replicate it.

Back