Logo

BF35 Ground Wire?

Hello folks,

What a dummy......

Installing an external On-Off battery switch today and must have inadvertently let the cables touch. Smelled smoke and saw that I had fried the little wire that emerges from above the lower unit housing and is screwed to the motor frame.

What have I done? I assume that this is a ground wire for the electrical system? Is it critical? Have I damaged anything else?

The wire has disappeared into the housing, so I assume that the lower unit will have to be dropped to repair?

Thank you for any comments.

Matt

On closer inspection, I realized that the short wire is attached on one end to the motor case and on the other end to the Center Mounting Housing. The wire is part # 11 in the Honda diagram. Problem will be removing the screw that holds the wire to the Center Mounting Housing. The simple, right angle phillips screwdriver that I have will not fit in the space between the housing and the motor case. Looks to me like the Center Mounting Housing and the motor case will have to be disconnected.

Matt

Got the screw out using small Vicegrips. Motor runs fine and alternator is charging.

So, what is the purpose of the wire? Some sort of ground? Should I replace it with the OEM part, our rig-up my own?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Are the screws that attach that wire to the outboard labeled as item 30? If so, that is what I would describe as an "electrolysis bond" or electrical bond wire. It simply ensures that the separate parts of the outboard are, electrically, one with each other.

If the wire weren't there, you would likely see accelerated galvanic corrosion taking place in isolated and concentrated areas.

That's as close as I can guess from your description without a photo or diagram.

HTHY.
jimmyd

Jimmy,

Yes, the screws are # 30. The boat is not kept In the water and is under cover when not in use. So, electrolysis is unlikely I think.

But, I will still replace it. I'm wondering if I can just create my own. What sort of wire would you use?

Thanks for your response Jimmy.

Matt

Sure, it's just a wire. Although I believe it is made from stainless wire and stainless eyelets.
At a minimum I would use galvanized wire and connectors to keep from having rust and corrosion streaks from copper or carbon steel components.

Not a big deal if you keep an eye on things.

Good luck.

Yes, that's the way to go. boats.net makes many things easy for us by charging better prices than the dealers.

And, I'll bet you are MORE than relieved that the smoke was from that cable instead of something costing much more!

Buy a lotto ticket. ;-)

Back