Logo

BF30 won't stop!

Jakey555

Hi,
I have a (new to me) 2010 BF 30 that runs on and on and onwhen switched off at either the key or pulling the killcord.
When it's ice cold- for example when started and run for lessthan a minute it runs on for only 20 seconds or so before finally stopping- but this time varies. Whenfully warmed up and out on the water it sometimes runs on for 3 or 4 minutesand on one occasion would not stop until I lifted the cowl and pulled all the leads. I'm concernedthat it is unsafe as the boat could go a very long way in that time if I fellout.

The control box wiring appears to be in good condition. Theengine wiring less so, as the engine gets a lot of saltwater spray. Also thewiring loom from the control box to the engine is all covered up in trunking soI have no idea what that’s like inside. From the condition of the connectionsand bolts, plenty of water has found its way under the cowl over the years. Theboat throws up a lot of water into the front of the cowl as its coming onto theplane (another thing I’m going to fix) My guess is that rust or moisture ismaking a connection where it shouldn’t, so stray current is still getting tothe ignition long after it is switched off. The motor’s not getting hot, anddoes the same thing from ice cold anyway so I think its electrical problem notoverheating engine run-on.
Any ideas on what to look at first to fix this?
I’m thinking that the switch off circuit is probably afairly simple one. If necessary I could run another set of wires from the ignitionswitch and killcord part of the control box, just to see if that cures theproblem. Anyone know which wire I need to break under the cowl which shoulddefinitely kill the spark and stop the motor? This would be a good startingpoint and would be handy to know anyway as last time to stop it I had to pulloff all 3 HT leads one after the other (with wet hands and no pliers- which wasno fun). It was still just about running on only one cylinder.
Many thanks for any ideas on this!

... And here's the same post with spaces between some of the words:
Hi,
I have a (new to me) 2010 BF 30 that runs on and on and onwhen switched off at either the key or pulling the killcord.
When it's ice cold- for example when started and run for lessthan a minute it runs on for only 20 seconds or so before finally stopping- but this time varies. Whenfully warmed up and out on the water it sometimes runs on for 3 or 4 minutesand on one occasion would not stop until I pulled all the leads. I'm concernedthat it is unsafe as the boat could go a very long way in that time if I fellout.
The control box wiring appears to be in good condition. Theengine wiring less so, as the engine gets a lot of saltwater spray. Also thewiring loom from the control box to the engine is all covered up in trunking soI have no idea what that’s like inside. From the condition of the connectionsand bolts, plenty of water has found its way under the cowl over the years. Theboat throws up a lot of water into the front of the cowl as its coming onto theplane (another thing I’m going to fix) My guess is that rust or moisture ismaking a connection where it shouldn’t, so stray current is still getting tothe ignition long after it is switched off. The motor’s not getting hot, anddoes the same thing from ice cold anyway so I think its electrical problem notoverheating engine run-on.
Any ideas on what to look at first to fix this?
I’m thinking that the switch off circuit is probably afairly simple one. If necessary I could run another set of wires from the ignitionswitch and killcord part of the control box, just to see if that cures theproblem. Anyone know which wire I need to break under the cowl which shoulddefinitely kill the spark and stop the motor? This would be a good startingpoint and would be handy to know anyway as last time to stop it I had to pulloff all 3 HT leads one after the other (with wet hands and no pliers- which wasno fun). It was still just about running on only one cylinder.
Many thanks for any ideas on this!

mf70 is steering you in the right direction.

I think you are thinking that a connection needs to open to stop the motor. Just the opposite. The Black/red lead that mf70 refers to is not connected to anything when the motor is running.....so the resistance to ground should be infinite or open.

To stop the engine, that lead needs to be grounded.

Make sure that that lead is continuous all the way from the key switch to the cdi. You can pull the connector off of the cdi pack and just test it end to end. If it is not, then you just have to put your detective hat on and trace the wire until it is continuous.

Most of the problem areas are the connector on the CDI. then the bullet connector under the cover on the port side of the engine, then the 14 pin (big round connector) on the wiring harness coming from the keyswitch, then the connector at the other end of the wiring harness, and finally the connector going to the key switch and kill switch.

If continuity is good with the black/red, then make sure when the key switch is off, that a ground is applied to that lead. You might want to check to make sure that the black lead at the key switch is grounded. You may just have an open lead there.

When I say open, based on what you said, it may just be a very corroded connector or pin (on the 14 pin connector that has pushed out or corroded away).

Lastly, your manual may not have a wiring diagram in it...they have not been included in the more current motors. Check the last pages of this manual. It is a little older than yours, but the wiring for what you are doing should be the same.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZW2602.pdf

Mike

BF30 will stop!
It was a corroded 4 pin connector between the control box and wiring harness- inside the (moist) steering console. Found by tracing Bl/R wire as suggested.
Many thanks.

Good deal! Sometimes tracing those things can be a real pain.

We will be sure to forward the next wiring problem to you! LOL

Mike

Back