Logo

BF2D 2hp 4stroke: should there be holes in the exhaust line???

brueggy

I recently purchased a used Honda 2hp outboard BF2D. It starts fine and runs well but is very loud. I took apart almost everything and was puzzled by five very neat holes in a chamber in the exhaust line through which some of the exhaust gases excape into the area under the cover. Most of the exhaust goes to the port under water.

I am not able to find this chamber in the schematics for the engine. Does this vary by year? I really don't know why the holes would be there. Could a previous owner put a wrong exhaust line here? I wish I had taken a picture of the thing but it is at the river house 80 miles away.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Well, I'll jump in since no one else has. I looked at the exhaust parts list for '03 to '07 and they look the same. I've seen holes appear in automotive exhaust systems that looked "symmetrical" and intentional but very close examination revealed that they were just fluke arrangements of the corrosive elements of exhaust gasses and moisture. And, who knows? They just may be the results of some misguided effort to "soup up" the little one lunger by a previous owner.

I do know that I wouldn't want any eshaust escaping under the hood if it were mine and I would replace or patch the pipe.

You're right though, a picture or two might help.

Back