Logo

BF225

etw2220

Was able to get hands on 2 BF225. One was supposed to be counter rotation. Neither have markings or tags, only serial numbers. Can someone tell me which way the shift arm where the shift cable connects inside the cowling should move to put in forward gear. Should lever move forward towards boat or otherwise for forward gear? That way I can at least know which prop to purchase as well as shift control box (Push or Pull). Thanks

Im guessing if you move them both into the same position, if one is counter rotating, one will only rotate clockwise and the other counterclockwise. Someone more knowledgeable than me will get a better answer but this will tell if one is counterrotating or not.

I’m also thinking the gear case is the counterrotating part, everything above that is the same on both outboards, so dual controls are only one type?

Hi,
I have no experience with this but I looked at a pdf service manual and a "sure fire" way to tell would be to drop the gear cases as you would do to change the water pump impellers.

The manual shows that, looking down on the shift shaft stub protruding from the gear case, it has an indexing flat in the.splines (they call it a protrusion).

The index on the right hand rotation unit faces forward or toward the bow. The counter rotating unit has the index flat facing to the rear.

I tried to figure out how the the system is put together as to differences in hardware mounting, cable routing and control boxes but I couldn't determine that with the info I have.

As NSDON says, it looks as if most of the part numbers are the same for both types but I'm not 100% sure about that. Like I said, no experience with these outboards.

Also, the remote control parts list calls out Left and Right but no counter rotation. I believe that the left and right description is only where they mount on the hull. But not 100% sure about that either.

Sorry, that's all I can offer.

Good luck.

Hi,
I have no experience with this but I looked at a pdf service manual and a "sure fire" way to tell would be to drop the gear cases as you would do to change the water pump impellers.

The manual shows that, looking down on the shift shaft stub protruding from the gear case, it has an indexing flat in the.splines (they call it a protrusion).

The index on the right hand rotation unit faces forward or toward the bow. The counter rotating unit has the index flat facing to the rear.

I tried to figure out how the the system is put together as to differences in hardware mounting, cable routing and control boxes but I couldn't determine that with the info I have.

As NSDON says, it looks as if most of the part numbers are the same for both types but I'm not 100% sure about that. Like I said, no experience with these outboards.

Also, the remote control parts list calls out Left and Right but no counter rotation. I believe that the left and right description is only where they mount on the hull. But not 100% sure about that either.

Sorry, that's all I can offer.

Good luck.
Forgot to mention that the transmission should be in neutral when checking the shift shaft index.
Good luck.

Back