Logo

BF225 Mystery Buzzer at Start Up

gaffshot

This past weekend a continuous alarm sounded as soon as I started the engine, after about 10-15 seconds I turned off the engine and it would not restart. It turned over but it only started when i hit the bulb a couple of times. One time the buzzer stopped by itself after a few seconds all the other times it would not stop buzzing unless i restarted and every time I would restart the engine would stumble, seemed like it would not stay on and drop rpms to around 2-300 initially before reving up to the normal rpm's.

There are no lights or indicators activated on the digital gauges.

It happened about 6-7 times, even when i got back to the ramp after running all day.

Engine runs fine at all speeds from slow idle to WOT.

2008 with 370 hours

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

You say there are no lights...

Do you have an oil light on? If not, then it is an oil pressure problem.

I am kind of confused (which I normally am anyway)...but you said it runs good at all speeds.
Is it just doing its stumbling and buzzing only when you first start it...then it runs ok?

Mike

Mike,
Thanks a ton for helping out.

The only light on is the normal green light, no indicators on the digital gauge(checked every time) and yes it runs smooth at all speeds.... put 59 miles on the engine on sat with a mix of trolling, cruising and full throttle.

It ONLY buzzes immediately upon start up. The stumble also occurs on start up.

Thanks again.

Rock,

that was my first thought that it might be the fuel/water sensor on the engine even though it ran great but the manual states that that alarm would pulsate not be a continuous alarm like the one im getting. Racor bowl looks OK.

The trouble shooting chart says to check for shorts in the buzzer circuit (but your alert goes away after you restart). So, it does not seem likely to me.

The only other thing it says to do is to substitute a known good ECM and recheck. You don't happen to have twin 225's do you?

I guess it is always possible that one of your temp sensors is out of range and causing the alert. Since it sends the info to the ECU, you would think if the ECU thinks there is an overheat, then a red light would come on.

You would have to have a dealer put their HDS on it and see if anything shows up.

One last question...just to be sure the overheat light is working...

When you turn your key switch on (not starting the engine), does the green light (oil press), red light(overheat), red (charge light), and red (pgm light) come on for two seconds then go out. The red charge light should remain on after the two seconds.

Just want to be sure that the red overheat light is working.

As you have said, the only solid alert on the 225 is for oil pressure or over heat.

Mike

Mike,

On my ignition panel I only have the green oil light and the red temp light. The other indicators are on the digital gauge...I will verify tomorrow if they self test normally when i turn the key.

As far as the ECM, I had my update done with the new style 02 sensor at my 300 hour service so my ECM is new. I failed to mention before that this problem occurred once before back in September when I had my original ECM but it only happened a single time at start up and never again till this past weekend so I shrugged it off.

Spoke to someone today about this problem and he said to check for a loose connection on the "white, 3rd battery wire" thats on the port side next to the 02 sensor. He states that for whatever reason he's seen it cause problems similar to what i am experiencing. He found it caused a sudden drop of voltage at start up with a solid alarm as well.

Ill take at look at that wire tomorrow and check my key switch self test like you recommend...if all checks out ok Ill make an appointment with service......Ill post the findings.

Thanks again Mike.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan...

You may also want to ask the dealer...how much it would be to install a pgm panel. Two lights that I referred to...pgm (check engine light) and charge light. It will give you more info as to what is going on.

If you have Honda digital gauges, they already appear there. So, there would be no need to install another set of lights.

You may want to check the connections on your battery and the charge and condition of you starting battery. Although, those types of problems trip an on/off type of alert.

Mike

Mike,
Checked key switch this am and it was normal. Checked the white wire with the insulation boot and it was snug.

Was able to get service at the dealer today. They hooked up the HDS and nothing came back abnormal. They were unable to duplicate the horn at start up or the "rough" start. They put a call out to the Honda Tech and they had no idea either what could be causing my problem. They asked me about my battery condition and they are both at 12.6-12.8 volts on the honda gauge and the lowrance voltometer.

Only other thing to do is to hook up HDS while the horn is going off. Dealer is about 15 min away from a ramp so Ill try to put the boat in the water in the near future on a weekday and if the horn goes off ill call them.

As always Thanks for your help.

Back