Logo

BF225 leaking oil

TinaMarie

Hi All
I have a 2003 BF225 that is leaking oil and showing black carbon marks at the exhaust ports. I've looked through previous posts and I think this could be fixed with service bulletin #40. I was hoping someone could email me a copy of said bulletin. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
TinaMarie

Hondadue, I'm curious about the black carbon marks coming out of exhaust, how would this be attributed to a leak on the block. I would think it would be due to a "rich" fuel condition.

I do not know. That is the way they said to help identify the oil leak. Here is the exact wording of the first sentence of the Bulletin. "Oil residue may collect below the vapor separator in the engine compartment, and there may also be a black soot-like residue on the extension case and the gear case at the back of the motor below the under covers."

Mike

Not to highjack this thread, but I was curious because my exhaust has a some soot on both motors, I think it may be because I did a decarb and its running crud out the exhaust.

It could be due to the decarb. The soot is not just a result of the leaking oil. Other things can cause the soot too.

Mike

I agree - it's hard to see how an oil leak would produce the black soot marks on the exhaust ports. However, I did experience that for a while when I had some older fuel in the tank and was doing a lot of trolling. Also, a failed HO2 sensor will do that.

Back