Logo

BF225 alarm

tclarkboats

I have a 2002 BF225 that gives me a temperature alarm when I run over 5,000 rpms for a minute an idles down he engine. The water coming out the tattle tail is cold so the engine is not hot. My question is " Does the computer shut the engine down at high RPM's if the engine is cold" Also just two years ago I put two SS thermostats in when I tuned the engine. Other than that it runs great.
tommy

The cold water coming out from tattle tail, that not mean engine is not hot, that tattle tail water coming out from water jacket not from the engine,so when engine is running that water always cold, The computer reduce the rpm at high speed when any of the temperature sensor detect high temperature, their is 3 sensors on the engine,2 on exhaust manifold and 1 on the engine block. again check thermostat, water pump impeller.

wajira

The cold water coming out from tattle tail, that not mean engine is not hot, that tattle tail water coming out from water jacket not from the engine,so when engine is running that water always cold, The computer reduce the rpm at high speed when any of the temperature sensor detect high temperature, their is 3 sensors on the engine,2 on exhaust manifold and 1 on the engine block. again check thermostat, water pump impeller.

wajira

Thanks I will check the thermostats and if good the impeller. I changed all two years ago and use the boat just about every weekend so the impeller should be ok never ran it dry. It is used in salt water only.

tommy

If you know how to pull the codes by shorting the service connector, 24 blinks on the MIL is sensor #1 (right side when facing the engine from the rear) and 25 blinks is sensor #2. And yes, those codes are stored.

Also, in addition to what Wajira said, check the screens on your water intakes to make sure they are not clogged and when you pull the t-stats make sure you do not have excessive corrosion below the t-stat seats.

If you know how to pull the codes by shorting the service connector, 24 blinks on the MIL is sensor #1 (right side when facing the engine from the rear) and 25 blinks is sensor #2. And yes, those codes are stored.

Also, in addition to what Wajira said, check the screens on your water intakes to make sure they are not clogged and when you pull the t-stats make sure you do not have excessive corrosion below the t-stat seats.

Excellent, I will try this tomorrow, I have a service manual and pretty familiar with the engine.
tommy

OK I have the actual Honda Service manual but I can find it. Any idea when Honda Ise going to come out with at 300hp don't see anything on the internet. I am thinking about replacing the BF225 with a Yamaha F300 have you heard any bad stuff on that engine?

thanks
again

Yamaha F300, Good engine, but Had some issue with Fly wheel and gear box drive shaft ,Fly wheel they replace as a recall,Here in UAE cant see much 300 engines.better collect more info before spend lot of money. Of course For more power you can go for bigger engine, But for more reliable engine, it is better to go for Honda. BF 250 is really good engine. No any news about Honda 300 may be another 5 years.

wajira

Thanks for the update. Also on another thread you helped me with an alarm issue. I checked the ECM an it was giving me on the MIL a flash then pause then three flashes and would repeat. I looked them up and it is a MAP sensor or O2 sensor fault. I cleared the ECM with a reset then ran the boat again for a few miles at WOT no alarms. Went back to the dock and checked ECM no codes displayed. I guess I have an intermitten sensor, I changed the O2 sensor out about 2 years ago. I bought the sensor on line it might be the old model, I understand Honda came out with a more reliable one. Anyway I am back running, thanks for your help.
tommy
PS: This is a great forum its hard to get information on Honda they don' t break so no one seems to know much.

Back