Logo

BF20D Surging

alumarine

Regular Contributor
A friend has a BF20 approximately 2007.
He took it out for the first time last week and he said it was "surging" and would not get his 16ft lund on plane.

I know it ran perfect on the last run of last year.
When he winterized it he probably ran it in too small of a tub and now it's not pissing so an impeller and housing is being installed.

My question is, would the Engine Protection System make it feel like it's surging or would it just limit the rpm?

thanks

Hard to say. Yes, if it were de-rating power then it might surge trying to push that hard.
All he can really do is replace the pump and see what she does. If it still surges and is running cool then my money is on the carb needing cleaning.

One other thing that you need to keep in mind about the Honda twins is how easy they start and how smooth they run on just one cylinder. That is, until you ask for some power. Then they fall flat.
A bad spark plug can have you chasing your tail in a case like that.

Good luck.

Impeller and pump housing are getting replaced tomorrow and he will launch it later this week.
We'll see how it goes and report back.

A question came up that regarding the possible over heating incident.
The manual says when running in a tub that the water level should be kept 2" above the anti ventilation plate.

I've always thought that the pump can't pull water so the level has to be at or above be the height of the pump.
So, how does the pump draw water when up on plane?

Back