Logo

BF20 float gasket swelling?

mf70

Well, thanks to guidance from hondadude and jgmo on cleaning my carb, my BF20 is running smoothly and well.

However, in my first outing on the water last weekend, I noticed an oil sheen under the running engine. I opened the case, and I saw raw fuel gently squirting from the float bowl edge each tine the accelerator pump did a stroke. The "o" ring gasket was extruding from the joint. This is a new OEM gasket this season.

I dropped the float bowl, and the gasket looked about 10% big for the channel. After a few hours, it once again fit. I've ordered another OEM gasket, but the swelling is troubling. I didn't get any carb cleaner anywhere near the gasket, but it was certainly exposed to gasoline!

Any ideas?

Fuel will expand the gasket.

Most likely, you pinched the o ring when you put the bowl back on. It is easy to do if you do not watch it closely. It probably just popped out of position.

Hold the bowl horizontally and bring the carb body down to meet it. That way, you can watch the gasket as the bowl and the body go together. A little vasoline can hold it in place. Some put a little adhesive on the oring.... I prefer the vasoline....a lot less messy and easier to clean off my hands.

Mike

I've pinched my fair share of those float chamber seals. It's pretty much "one and done". If it gets pinched, it will almost never seal after that. Besides keeping it clean and dry you mustn't let it sit out in direct sunlight before you use it or it will soak up heat, expand,,,just a little,,,and will pinch easily.

Last edited:
Back