Logo

BF175 won't start - ECM issue

aliboy

Advanced Contributor
Have had an issue with the port BF175 (2007) being slow to start. Needed to be wound over for longer than normal, but inconsistent and only on odd occasions. Ran like a new engine once it was going. Eventually decided not to start at all one day. Wound over, kicked a little sometimes, but wouldn't start. Called our local Honda mechanic and after some testing etc proved that the engine would start reliably with a shot of ether in the intake. Runs perfectly once going, but the moment you turn it off it wouldn't start again without ether.

Got seriously into the 175 starting sequence, sensors etc. Pulled and stripped/replaced VST, HP filter, EBT sensor, IAC valve etc. Fuel rail pressure was in spec and low pressure pump flow was in spec etc etc. Had a (dim) red light at the dash, but no codes in the ECM. Finally tried swapping the ECM in from the other engine and problem sorted.

Because the engine ran perfectly once going we really didn't think the ECM would be the issue, but you live and learn in this business. Good thing I guess is that the engine has had a major service through the fuel system and the EBT sensor was out of spec a little and may have become an issue anyway. So this is a heads up for anyone who searches this problem later on as the ECM is not going to instinctively be eh first thing you check unless you are much cleverer than my mechanic and myself.

The question here now is does anyone know any Honda Outboard dismantlers who may have a BF175. It seems that I can get a new ECM OK from one of the larger parts suppliers, but they are expensive and usually a low failure rate item so a used one might make sense if I can find one.

Search around the Internet. There are a lot of folks out there that part out engines. Just be sure you get a guarantee that it works, or a good return promise.

Back