Logo

BF130 "No Mess" Oil Filter draining

Old No7

Since this forum was a great help to me last fall when I had issues with a stuck oil drain bolt, I figured I'd post this picture of the "no mess" way that I drain oil from the oil filter/upper gearcase on "Fogging Day", when my 'ol girl is put away for the winter.

By the way, no issues with the oil drain bolt this fall.!! :)

Here's a pix showing how I put a cut down juice bottle under the oil filter (after I have loosened it enough that I can spin it off). Zip-tied to the 1/2 juice bottle, is the cut-down gallon bottle that collects the drained oil. With them zipped together, I hold the containers with one hand and spin the filter off with the other. The warm oil easily drains into the containers with no mess left under the cowling. The engine is shown as level in this pix, but I do raise it to help the oil drain.

BF130_Oil_Filter_drain_Medium_.jpg

This idea could easily be adapted to other size Honda outboards too, I'll bet.

It works slick too!

But now the only problem I have is the looooooooooooong 5 months wait until the April 2014 fishing season... :p

Old No7

Why didn't I think of that?.....because you did first! :)
Thank you for the EXCELLENT idea for dealing with a very messy chore!

As a follow-up to this old posting...

Here's an update for this fall! Hope it helps some of you out with your "dreaded" (VERY sad day yesterday... "Fogging Day", my brothers and I call it...) winterizing.

I used a funnel with a 10" length of hose attached, and bungie corded it to the lower unit when I drained the warm oil from my Honda BF130 -- worked like a charm, although I did have to use a finger to slow the flow of oil at the start, as it was coming out faster than the funnel could handle it! But, no mess was made. Then once it slowed down, I could leave it there for awhile to totally drain the crankcase.

This worked "slick" (pun intended).

BF130_Oil_Filter_drain_02_Medium_.jpg

See ya in the spring!

Old No7

Back