Logo

BF130 creating a fluid sheen from exhaust

Robert Nuss

Hi everyone,

My name is Robert and I’m new the the forum and could use your support. I have a 1999 Honda BF130 that runs great and has been very reliable but I’m seeing an “oil sheen” in the water behind the motor.

I have checked the oil level and I have needed to add oil but I’m not certain the engine doesn’t burn some.

I’ve done the best visual inspection I could, with the boat still in the water, looking for oil leaks within the engine that could run down into the water but haven’t identified anything. Same for fuel, haven’t noticed any fuel leaks.

I checked the lower unit fluid recently and it looked great, I don’t think it’s coming up from that.

If I dock my boat and leave it for a day or so I notice the sheen around the engine, that gives me a feeling it leaks whether the engine is on or off but the sheen seems to appear more when the engine is on at idle.

The questions I can think of currently:

• Is there a way to determine if the sheen in the water is oil or fuel? Without any experience I can’t identify which is which.

• Is it possible for unburned fuel to be ejected from the exhaust?

• Are there any know historical fluid leaks, fuel or oil, common to this engine that anyone has encountered?

Any support is greatly appreciated!
-Robert

Hi Robert,
Welcome.

I'm not familiar with this outboard but places that might be suspect for oil leakage are the:
oil filter ( item 10 in link below)
pcv chamber (item 4)
the oil hose to that chamber (item 11)
oil cooler cover (item 15) and oil pressure switch (item 20)

I know you probably checked the oil filter but I had to mention it.
In other words, the starboard side of the engine block is target rich for possible oil leaks.

I don't know if I could accurately tell the difference between an oil sheen and a fuel sheen on the water but maybe someone else here knows the trick.

Hope you find it and fix it.

How big is the sheen? A very tiny bit of oil or gas, just one small drop, can create a surprisingly large sheen.

Check spark plugs, a rich condition will show up there and maybe put some excess soot out the exhaust. If raw gas, you will likely smell it, so more likely to be a sheen from exhaust gases or an oil leak.

Lower crank seal could be leaking into the flywheel housing. Remove the starter motor and check, should be completely dry in there.Also carefully inspect shift shaft seals on the powerhead side

Back