Logo

BF130 -02 Replacing Balancer/Timing belt´s

Boss

Hi, Referring to the shop manual – third edition (61ZW500), the manual states on 3-17 point 6,7 and 8: Remove the intake manifold…, Prepare the 6X100 mm bolt, Fix the balancer shaft (intake side) not to turn……Could anyone explain to me why this is necessary? Everything is clearly marked and lining up the mark(s) on the balancer belt driven pulley towards the two corresponding marks should be very easy installing the new belt!
Any input on this (according to me) very strange maneuver is very much appreciated, removing the intake manifold seems to me very time consuming etc.
Best Regards,

The reason is because the intake side balance shaft is not driven directly from the driven pulley.
It is driven via reduction gears between the pulley and shaft. These gears formed the oil pump on the auto engine.
So the actual balance shaft will only align after several revolutions of the balance shaft pulley.

It is possible to check the intake side balance shaft alignment without removing the intake manifold, but it is very fiddly.

Another option is, if you have no reason to suspect the balance shaft is out of alignment, is to align all the marks, then carefully remove the timing belts without rotating the balance shafts(tape them so they don't move), then fit the new belts.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Many thanks for your input.
I agree, align everything, gently swap the old belts to the new ones then remount everything (crankshaft pulley etc.) and you are done.
But, please, take a look at the manual:http://www.************/lib/honda/manuals/bf115130.html#/74, the shaft is driven via a reduction gear as you correctly say, but
this is still a stiff connection, if you have align the balancer pulley correctly then the shaft is also correct- right?
The ONLY reason, I can think about, to lock the balancer shaft using a 100 bolt would be if you (for any reason) where to remove the balancer pulley itself.
Then it is vital that you have the shaft in the correct position when you remove/reinstall the pulley, this is actually described in the manual (11-2)-Balancer Shaft/Pulley -
Removal/Installation.
So, I have come to the conclusion that who ever wrote the manual did not understand what he/her where writing about! The balancer shaft need not be locked using a 100 mm bolt
as long as you have the alignment correctly when swaping belts!- What do you think Bob, I really appreciate your thoughts here!
Best Regards,
Staffan

Last edited:
If you were to align the balancer pulley & fit the 6 x 100 bolt to the balancer shaft, then remove the bolt and rotate the pulley 1 turn, the balancer shaft bolt hole would not align and you would not be able to refit the 6 x 100 bolt. Once you rotate the pulley a further 1 or 2 turns(can't recall exactly) the balancer bolt hole will align
This is because of the gear reduction ratio of #10 and #11 causing shaft #1 and #10 to spin at different speeds.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF130A2 XA/BALANCER SHAFT/parts.html
So just because the pulley is aligned doesn't necessarily mean the actual balance shaft is aligned.

Hope this makes sense.

Bob

Yes, itdoes make sense!
Well,looking at the drawing (in the manual) showing the gears for the driving thebalancer shaft, the ratio is 1.25 resulting in the balancer shaft rotating 1.25revs while the pulley rotates 1 rev. This resulting in 4 revs between alignmentof the balancer shaft pulley and the shaft itself (as you say). Furthermore, the diameter ratiobetween the pulley of the second balancer shaft and the pulley of intake balancershaft is approx. 0.5 resulting in the two shafts rotation with different speedswere the intake side rotates 1.25X0.5 = 0.7 revs. per 1 rev for the other shaft- what a great design!

So, if theold belts are factory installed, there will be no need for the 6X100 mm bolttrick, I just align everything, make sure nothing rotates (I’ll just tape the pulleyetc. as you recommend), swap the belts and all should be well!

Thanks foryour clarification!
BR/Boss

Back