Logo

bf 60 a sputtering

Snoekkop

Contributing Member
Hi gents,

I am having an issue(again) with my BF 60 A 2012 outboards, at higher rpms( 4 500 - 5000) the outboards sputter intermittently, Like hiccups.

Also sometimes it surges quite violently and then normalizes again,only to sputter again.

I have replaced HP fuel filters, HP pumps , spark plugs and oil and filter .

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Is this a fuel injected 60hp BF60D?

If so, have you, or someone else, had the vapor separator apart and removed the fuel pump for any reason?

If so, there's a pretty good chance that the grommet at the top of the pump is restricting fuel flow. If the grommet is seated into the upper vapor separator housing, and the fuel pump is then pushed into it, that grommet has a habit of deforming and blocking output from the pump. The grommet should be installed on the pump, THEN inserted into the upper body.

Hi Alan,

Yes i did remove the vst and installed a new pump, in regards to the grommet i cut a 3mm piece off the end and installed on the pump prior to installing the pump.

Any other suggestions please.

So far ,im stumped,as i have followed both Ian and Chawks advice with some success, in the past,but it seems it is a recurring issue.
Dont know how to attack the problem anymore.

I really need help,please.

Thanks

Is there any chance the low pressure pump is sucking air? How old is your fuel line and it's connectors? Could it be collapsing internally under high fuel flow (suction) conditions? Have you tried a different gas tank?

After double and triple checking for that potential-

If you are completely sure that grommet isn't the root of your headache (would be worth double checking in my mind) what I would do next is kind of a shade tree mechanic thing. The computer controls the ground side of the fuel pump. Maybe take that control away from it, and eliminate any chance of a bad ground causing the issue, by grounding the ground wire side of the pump directly (make sure you disconnect the ground wire leading back to the computer!). Double check the fuel pump fuse and as many connections as you can find between it and the fuel pump for loose or corroded connections. The pump will then turn on and off with the key. Then try it. If the grommet is OK, and you have constant power to the pump, at the very least you can eliminate the high pressure supply side as your issue.

That does not cover the possibility of an erratic injector issue though.... I haven't had that happen to me (yet), but it's a possibility! -Al

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Alan,appreciate it.

what i did was to install a fuel pump relay that is controlled by the ecu constant power to relay coil and switches through ecu ground, my thought behind this , is my suspicion of the fuel pump driver on the ecu beeing either intermittently faulty or cutting out when heat build up inside cowling.It works well, it primes for +- 2 seconds and after start up stays on.Will check whether lp pump is maybe sucking air , and replace fuel lines and bulbs and take it from there.

Do you perhaps know of a way of checking if i may have a small leak in the lp side of things,surely there will be signs of fuel somewhere from tank to lp pump,am i wrong in assuming so?there are no apparent leaks .

what i did find is that the fuel water separator top bowls do not stay full , the fuel level is half way,do you think it could be sucking in air through that. The fuel water separators have a clear bottom bowl and anothe clear bowl where the filter is seen,with a small air purge screw on top.Should the top bowls stay full allways ,once air is purged?

appreciate your help,these outboards are driving me crazy:).When they right they awesome,but if something is off then headaches.

I must be missing something,please .

thanks

May I ask what pump you fitted? BF 60s will.not run an aftermarket pump, I don't know why but the ECU doesn't like it.

Hi Ian,

i installed a Quantum replacement pump,and the ecu didnt like it , as you mentioned,probably pulling more amps or something.
What i did then was to install a fuel pump relay ,which switching is done by the ecu.

It is working fine ,only issue is ,the sputtering,at lower rpms and starting its 100%.

Only sputters intermittently at hidher rpms.

Almost like it is starving of fuel intermittently,but it doesnt stall.

i will check whether the lp side of the fuel system is sucking air somehow.

I have had a run of 60s through the shop with this same issue. On the fuel pump issue, I would stick to original, I tried stuffing around with alternative things like you had and the same problem. I believe there is an issue with the ecm if the fuel pump circuit is not as designed. This one model in particular is super sensitive to any of the EFI components not being perfect, they are a pain.

Hi ,

Does installing a fuel relay, not cancel any issues with the ecu ,regarding the fuel pump?

At USD 280 a pump ? its very expensive. What if i install an original pump and the issue persists? Then what?

Ian , did you find a solution with these outboards?

Is there a way to reflash the ecu or to test whether it is not the issue?

I am going bonkers with this issue. Tried so many things allready except the ECU, but at USD 800 a pop,is it even worth considering?

I have chatted with Honda headquarters as there are no dealers where im at,and all they can say is "Take it to an authorized Honda dealer"
Poor , very poor.There is no agent here,what now?

The only other suggestion I have is to get your injectors tested to ensure they are working properly and all injecting the same amount of fuel. When you remove the spark plugs, are they all the same colour? If not then the one that's different could have the faulty injector. All the issues I've had have been fuel related. Also check your fuel pressure, it should be 41psi at idle with vacuum hose connected to the regulator and 48 psi with it disconnected.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your help,appreciate it alot.

will send injectors for testing and cleaning, i havent removed spark plugs since replacing them 20 hrs ago will do that and revert back.
As to fuel pressure , i am getting 43 psi at idle, didnt check underway .If i pinch the vaccuum hose it goes up to +- 48 psi, so fuel pressure at idle and with vaccuum hose pinched it is within spec.

Hi Gents,

Feedback , after having cleaned injectors and new fuel pump as mentioned above, and adjusted valves, the outboards are perfect, no issues at all.

Thank you for the help

Back