Logo

Bf-225 timing belt adjustment and change

Jefferyes

Lurked here for ten years at least great forum

I have a 2003 bf-225 great motor
Finally screwed up the courage to change the belt.
I will point out things I did not figure out even with the shop manual
First adjusting the belt tension is dead easy. Pull plugs and inlet silencer set engine to TDC. Note crank pulley mark ensures TDC on intake stroke. Loosen tension pulley bolt. Watch tensioner move. Torque tension pulley bolt. Done.
If tensioner doesn’t move it is bottomed out. You need a new belt.
To change belt pull throttle body and pulley covers
Hard part break crank pulley bolt loose. You need the Honda tool. Less than 100 bucks Amazon
You also need to apply 500 ftlbs torque this means a three foot 3/4 drive.
Pop it off
Thread new belt. All slack must be at the tensioner pully
Observe tensioner pulley take up slack, torque it down. Rotate clockwise check for clean smooth and operation.
You are done.

Again great forum thx

Hi,
I haven't read the manual about doing the timing belt as I've never worked on the 225 Honda.

I find it odd though that they would have you reference TDC at the beginning of the intake stroke. Usually it's directed that TDC is found at the end of the compression/beginning of the power stroke.

I suppose it could be a geometric thing for locating timing marks but I've never heard of that before.

What exactly are you saying needs to be torqued to 500 lb.ft.?
I see that the flywheel bolt is torqued to 87 lb.ft. but can find nothing that is listed much higher than that. Was that a typo maybe.

No to break the crank bolt free required 500 ftlbs
3 ft 3/4 drive torque wrench. And a 1/2 drive breaker bar on the Honda tool. Breaker bar rated at 500 ftlbs. And it was near its limit

One additional step should be to check the tensioners and idler pulleys for smooth, true operation - no grinding, binding, or wobble. Those parts are more subject to failure than is the belt itself.

Back