Logo

BF 225 overheating alarm

dwightbarv

My BF 225 spent most of last summer in the shop getting a brand new lower unit put on at the dealer OUCH!

Now the overheating alarm comes on even though the telltale pees fine. The water coming out of the pee hole

feels cool to the touch even after 10 minutes. Should it feel warm? I don't know if the alarm is faulty or if the

water is just coming out the pee hole and not circulating through the engine. I don't have a temp guage. Any ideas?

Thanx,

Dwight

Portsmouth NH

Yes - provide more information. Is the alarm continuous, short beeps, or long beeps? If you have the four-light key switch, which lights are on when the alarm sounds?

Search this forum for pulling fault codes on the 225. It's a simple process, using a paper clip.

BTW - at idle, the water coming out of the telltale should be lukewarm.

The alarm is constant and happens at rest or at speed. I only have a 2 light switch. Can I still pull then fault codes? Where can I find out how on this forum Thanx DBA

Yes, you can pull them using the two-light switch.

Getting Fault Codes

You need to retrieve the codes from the EPROM in the on-board engine computer - the Electronic Control Module or ECM.

Take off the engine cover and the plastic cover over the electronics on the front of the engine. There you will see a red four-pronged female plug. Remove the plug from its holder. Use a paper clip to shunt the lime green/white wire to the black wire – that is, the two wires that are closest to the engine when the red service connector is correctly set in its holder. If in doubt, invest in a SCS service connector, which you can order online - part number 070PZ-ZY30100.

Once connected, turn on the key switch and observe the number of blinks on the check engine (MIL) light. The blinks will repeat until you turn off the key.

If the MIL comes on, then stays on, there are no codes in the EPROM. This is contrary to what it says in the Helm Shop Manual (Page 5-14.)

If the MIL starts blinking, then count the blinks, which will indicate the fault code. You may get long blinks and short blinks. For example, two long blinks, followed by five short blinks, would be a fault code 25. The blink sequence will repeat itself until you turn the key off. If there is more than one fault, you will get multiple fault codes. For example, three short blinks, followed by two long blinks and five short blinks would be fault codes 3 and 25. Post the number of blinks and I will try to tell you what the error code is. Or, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the codes.

If you get only one blink, that repeats about every three seconds, that is a faulty O2 sensor. If a faulty O2 sensor is indicated, first check the wiring and connector. A loose or corroded connection can set off that alarm. So can a misfiring spark plug.

Clearing Fault Codes (From Honda Dude)

Essentially, to clear the codes, you operate the kill switch 5 times with the shunt (shorting device, or paper clip) in place and within 20 seconds of the key switch being on.

I recommend grabbing the safety lanyard very close to the switch that it is attached to so you can pull it to off and push it to on without losing the lanyard.

• Connect the shunting device (technical term for paper clip.)
• Turn on the key switch.
• Pull the safety switch to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off. That should be five times off and on and off within 20 seconds from when you turn the key switch to on. When you get to the fifth time off...you should hear one or two beeps. The codes are clear. If you did not hear the beeps, try again.

• Turn the key switch off
Remove the shunting device and run the engine. Then check for codes again. If all is clear, you may just have had a onetime occurrence. If you do have codes, you will just have to troubleshoot depending on the code number that you get.

If you only have two lights, you do not have a mil light.....sorry.

You have never said what the two lights that you do have are doing when you get the alleged overheat.

The green light should normally be on, indicating good oil pressure.....if off, then you have an oil pressure problem. The red light should normally be off......if on, then you have an overheat.

Mike

If it is giving over heat alarm (red light comes on and continue buzzer) touch both the exhaust manifold and see whether its getting over heating, And thermostat ,new gear box so new water pump seems to be no issue with water pressure.

wajira

Dwight - sorry about my screw up - I thought that the second light on the 2-light key switch was a MIL light. Both of mine are 4-light key switches, so I had no experience with your set-up.

Back