Logo

BF 150 Prop fitment advice

gepod

Contributing Member
I just finally got around to bay testing my new to me 2008 BF 150 on my new to me Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 20 and found out the looser I ought the motor from sent me a left hand prop!! I put the throttle in forward and the boat went in reverse. He refuses to believe that its what he sent me so I have no recourse. So what props will crossover and fit? Mercury,etc... I believe its a 15 spline 14x19. Basically trying to find out which manufactures will work. Thanks

PS anyone want to buy a nice or trade for a SS LT hand Quicksilver Laser II?

the advice I was looking for was basically some feedback on prop sizes that work on the BF 150. Just as a starting place ,I totally understand it comes down to trial and error because there are so many variables.
Jerry

I've got a BF150 on a 21 foot boat-- I've run both a 14 1/4 x 17P (4 blade) and a 14 1/4 x 19P (3 blade )

both perform well

You want to spin somewhere between 5,400 and 6,000 RPM for WOT while your boat is loaded for "normal load conditions" (fuel, people, booze etc)

The 17P 4 blade brought my RPM's up to 6,000 but because it required more RPM's to get my boat to cruising speed I ended up sticking with the 19P 3-blade

I have both those props for sale if you're interested. (Aluminum in new condition, both OEM Honda equipment)

I have doubles of each so no need for so many props

Last edited:
Well I put a Michigan Wheel 4 bladed 14 5/8 x 16 P prop on and got out for a shakedown cruise. 20 knots of wind 2-3' swell ,not ideal, but managed 6000 rpm on a few short blasts. Prop cavitated when the motor was trimmed just a small amount. Ill get back out on a calmer day for a better eval. Only issue was at idle 600 rpm's there was a chatter and it seemed like the motor was shaking a little. It went away if I throttled up to 1000 rpm's. Prop chatter? Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Jerry

"Prop Chatter"? Never heard of that. Prop should be tight on the spindle. If you had to use an adaptor for the Michigan Wheel prop, check it thoroughly for proper fit.

Getting the 600 rpm's is good. That will help to keep your engine healthy in the long run. You may have your engine mounted too high. The anti-cavitation plate on the bottom of your engine should be even with the lowest point on the transom. For every foot of offset from the transom (because of a motor mount extension) raise the anti-cavitation plate one inch.

"Prop Chatter"? Never heard of that. Prop should be tight on the spindle. If you had to use an adaptor for the Michigan Wheel prop, check it thoroughly for proper fit.

Getting the 600 rpm's is good. That will help to keep your engine healthy in the long run. You may have your engine mounted too high. The anti-cavitation plate on the bottom of your engine should be even with the lowest point on the transom. For every foot of offset from the transom (because of a motor mount extension) raise the anti-cavitation plate one inch.

Guess I made it up? As for the prop fitment,its tight on the spindle absolutly so movement. Motor is at its lowest on the transom. Ill reply after getting out in some flatter water.
thanks

Well,maybe I was expecting too much from the 4 bladed prop. The hole shot is a little better and the top end hasent suffered too much ,if any. But the prop seems to cavitate easier on high speed turns and it seems to be more sensitive to engine trim? RPM's are right around 5900-6100 depending on trim. So technically Im right in the ballpark. Im curious how a 3 bladed SS 14 1/2 X 18 would run.

Back