Logo

Best Service Manuals for 80's Mariner/Yamaha Outboards? Calling all Old Timers!

ScubaJonL

I'm looking for the BEST manual for my 1987 Mariner 40ELTO ('81-83 Yamaha 6E9). I have a Clymer manual that came with it, and it's miserable. Spanning 1976 to 1989, and 2 to 220hp, there are more differences than there are common sections. It gets you 95% of the way every time, but that last 5% costs hours (there IS no black with white tracer, my carb doesn't have that plate, etc). I assume SELOC is similar?

Old Timers... what was THE reference for these things? Yamaha doesn't acknowledge anything pre-'84. I see several versions of Genuine Mariner manuals that list just 40-60HP, but the serial numbers don't jive so can't tell what generation they're for. Any clue on what Mariner Part Number is for the 'good book'?

I hated resorting to starting a new post but I've scoured this and other sites with no luck. Thanks in advance!

I feel your pain, same problem finding parts for1977 mariner, nla parts

I’ve been lucky and could keep her afloat by making my own parts (gaskets, reverse slider screw) or repurposing (lawnmower fuel pump) in the rare occasion Marineengine.com could not come through for me. I’ve been impressed with their inventory, resources, and diagrams.

The biggest obstacle to me, being an old mechanic but new boater, has been finding a quality manual for the less intuitive bits

There is clymer manual that covers the Yamaha built Mariners. Your manual sounds like a Yamaha specific because the Yamaha built Mariners went to only 60 hp. Where are you located?

Back