Logo

Best practice - cleaning electrical connections

myquest

Contributing Member
What is the best way to clean and protect the large harness connections like the one that comes from the helm to the engine compartment? Several connections in a block that is 25 years old? Not in bad shape but how do I clean the little female blade connections and do I use something like dielectric grease to preserve the connection? I took the boat out Sunday and it started like a champ. The next time I went to start it - nothing. I pulled that big harness connection apart and reconnected it as well as the one on the relay by the carburator and she started right up. '86 225E w/275 outdrive.

Hi
The first step is to make sure that the large connector's harnesses are not stressed on either side of the connector. The wiring leading to the connector must be long enough so it won't pull apart under load and also must be supported so that the weight of the harness wont pull it apart. I'd use a good automotive electrical contact cleaner such as Wurth Contact OL.on the connectors. Use a small pipe brush in the female terminals and try closing them up a little bit with a jeweler's screwdriver and try expanding the male terminals if possible with a jeweler's screw driver. The male terminals should be cleaned with a pipe brush or scraped with a pen knife if necc. Make sure your connections are dry and pack the cavity including the insides of the female contacts with a high quality repeat high quality dielectric grease. If your connector uses a hose clamp to hold it together do not over tighten it as it can distort the connector causing poor contact.

Good Luck
Jon Allen

Thanks, where does one get a pipe brush that small? I think someone should make a brush specifically for those type connections. There is no tension on my harness.

Back