Logo

Best Fuel for older outboard

Nick0151

Regular Contributor
Hi what fuel would be best to use in old outboard I have 82 evinrude 70Hp.

over in the UK the widely available ones are
E10 that’s 95 octane
E5 that can be from 97-99 octane and a lower ethanol percentage.

Thanks

Nick

We can get ethanol free but it’s so expensive comes in 4L for £39 so not viable to use in the boat need to remortgage to fill the tank

Then I would recommend the fuel with the least amount of ethanol. Back in the day rubber wasn’t designed to withstand ethanol and ethanol loves to absorb atmospheric water until it can’t, then you get phase separation. Lots of people run ethanol blended fuel and have no problems. I wouldn’t let your fuel system sit for long periods of time with ethanol blended fuels, breakdown of rubber components can occur. Easy solution is to run the engine out of fuel before storage. Some 2 cycle engine oil has a fuel stabilizer mixed in at the refinery, not a bad option if it’s available in the UK

ethanol is only an issue if the motor sits for over 8 months with the same fuel in it. never an issue if run on fresh fuel. its the storage thats the problem, and only for longer periods, but its not as bad as people think. but yes, motor runs noticeably better with zero ethanol in it, has more power too. if it was a crossflow, higher octane is recommended (90-94 RON)

Had to google RON :) says below, so guess just go for the 5% ethanol. Tanks are rather small can drain them relatively easily.

RON is the octane measure used globally and it's more efficient to produce and certify. 95 RON is roughly equivalent to 91-octane on the anti-knock index currently used in the United States. But unlike 91 premium fuel, 95 RON wouldn't be a niche product reserved just for luxury cars.

Back