Logo

bellhouse upper gearcase bushing,seal installation

this is a new follow up thread to my previous inquire.99 model alpha 1 gen 2 drive,2 seals that go in the upper part of shaft,which direction do the press or tap in,I do know the brass bushing bottoms out on the top where shift bar connects, but unsure how seals are placed. It does seem they designed it for a double seal to protect water from entering upper bellhousing,shift cable and ujoint bellows . Once again I need to know which direction the 2 seals go in? manual is vague and no directions anywhere that I have found. thanks.

99 model alpha 1 gen 2 noticed several members have read my thread but no replies, try and describe better, mercury service manual is vague. 2 brass bushings, 1 appx 3/8 length, 1 appx 1 inch length and 2 seals. the location is in bellhouse, the shifter rod that connects to shift cable inside bellhouse,also connects to shift lever in foot. does anyone know how these bushings are installed ? thanks

Top bushing make flush with top of housing (top of shift shaft), seals go below this bushing. Bottom bushing make flush with bottom of housing (bottom of shift shaft). Seals installed with lip (opening) facing up.

Thanks WoodieMan, one more question, you say seals installed with lip (opening) up. The 2 seals have what looks like a extremely small stainless ring holding the rubber in, are you saying that side should face up toward the brass bushing? I apologize for sounding so novice to this but when I tore my drive down the old bushing were so rotted I could not tell which side was up plus the new bushing kit wasn't in hand, but I did notice that both brass bushings were as you said flush on upper part of casing and lower part. Thanks again for all your help !

the "lip" is the side of the seal that has the little stainless spring in it. The bottom seal, lip faces up; The top seal, lip faces down.

i have already zipped up the outdrive with bottom seal up, top seal down, I do prefer the merc manual specs so what do i do now,not a problem to tear down again. WoodieMan could you send a link or post the link in this thread please. Again thanks to everyone helping me with some very important installation info.

All I have access to is a hard copy. I do not have an electronic one. I scanned these for you. It's very clear to me that both lip seals face the same direction - up. Pretty common double lip seal arrangement.

Older set up
old.jpg

Newer setup with bushing and seals in one
new.jpg

Back