Logo

Bearing carrier stuck

B

btclark

" I have no reverse on my John

" I have no reverse on my Johnson 89 200 and am trying to pull the bearing carrier, are they usually quite stuck in there? I am using a 5lb slide hammer puller....

Also any I deas on what to look for once I get in there, I know I may need to pull the lower unit and remove the pump and stuff to get the shaft out...

any help would be great...
thanks "

"BT..... Use a hand held propa

"BT..... Use a hand held propane torch to apply heat on the outside area of the lower unit, where the carrier assy contacts the lower unit casting. That should release the carriers hold.

Did this problem (no reverse) suddenly pop up for no reason, or was it okay, then possibly a water pump was installed etc (L/U was removed for some reason).... and then a shift problem existed?

The length of the shift rod is critical and I'm wondering if someone has adjusted it wrong.

Joe
"

" Right you are...
Hey Joe, T

" Right you are...
Hey Joe, Thanks for the reply...
Yes i did have the L/U off to replace the water pump and appearently it did not go on quite the same or I bent the rod? I have ran the motor in the water since and all was well except for reverse. I had a feeling about the shift rod but it looked like it was being push as far as it would go, I should have disconnected the rod from the upper connector before I dug into the L/U but....oh well.
Anyway I finaly got the carrier assembly out (bearing housing as the book calls it I see now), man was it on there tight. Heating it up was my next move, to apply pulling pressure I rigged a 2 ton hydrolic jack and a chain to pull the carrier out, It would not move with full pressure on it till I beat the piss out of the outside area using wood of course, it finaly did move, and I found that it was not going all the way into reverse by view of the gear movement on the shaft, so I started looking at the shift connector, I thought at first I had put it on upside down but it turned out to be the upper part of the shift rod was not bent correcty, it was binding, maybe I bent it when doing the pump? I bent it anound abit and got it just right. I found it is easy to get to that connector by removing the pan on the left side of the motor....So I need to slap the L/U back together and try it out....
thanks much
btclark "

Back