Logo

Bayliner mercruiser identification

jansteam40

Contributing Member
"hi guys i have a bayliner 285

"hi guys i have a bayliner 2855 wide body and some one has put a diesel engine in it which is not good , i would like to put it back to the origanal mercruiser engine but i dont know what it was , the drive is a bravo three and the hull id number is bl2b20stk091 from this i know its a 91 model bayliner can any one help
thanks from sunny cornwall uk"

"Most likely a 454 HO cubic in

"Most likely a 454 HO cubic inch ( high output) GM engine (7.4 litre)If the boat is a 28 - 29 foot I would look for a 454 with at least 425 horse power or more or even a 502 (i believe 8.4 litre)

To replace the entire engine with a entire marine engine will be very $$$$$$ expensive I would guess at least $10,000.00 US Plus flush the diesel out of the gas tank.

Good luck"

"i would like to put it back e

"i would like to put it back exactly as it was , is there any way to trace the original spec from the HID number
thanks for your reply"

"is there anything wrong with

"is there anything wrong with the deisel? Being in the UK most of the marina's have deisel fuel yes? and the deisel will get much more range than gasoline and last longer !! right ?? unless they put in a little 4cyl deisel, I know a 6 cyl deisel will out run most Gas engines.

May as well buy a new boat."

The diesel is probably a repow

The diesel is probably a repower due to a blown gas guzzler engine. The owner realized the up front diesel expense would be recouped quickly w/better fuel economy when pushing around the barge and the durability of the diesel would be a second bonus.

"the diesel is a v8 ,dont know

"the diesel is a v8 ,dont know what sort, here in the uk diesel is as expensive as gas so thats not an issue but the boat does not prerform as it should it will not even get up on the plane ,i think the last owner tried to save fuel cost but it hasnt worked looks to me like a bodged repower without any thought any way i think that bayliner would have put in the right engine to do the job so i would love to know the origanal spec , thanks for the info and help so far"

"you will use more gas than de

"you will use more gas than deisel, a V8 deisel in that boat is overkill. an inline 6 deisel would push that all day long.

no reason why the deisel wouldn't out perform in that boat, especially a V8 Deisel.

The proper transmission and transmission gear ratio and prop selection is crucial.

Selling the engine should give you enough money for a gas engine.

as Kghost said, call bayliner, only way to know what the boat had from the factory, may have even had an option for deisel.

Good luck !!"

"i hear what your saying , but

"i hear what your saying , but im in the dark here all i know is that this installation is a piece of c"£ap and im not happy with it but can you see my way of thinking that when it came from the factory it was probably ok
also a quick call to bayliner is not that simple cos of the time difference and long distance
i have been on this site for a short time and the help you guys give people is fantastic
so thanks again for all the help
ps is there some kind of web site where i can find the spec for the boat on the HID number"

"A friend of mine here in Aust

"A friend of mine here in Australia has a 2855 and it had a 7.4 / 454cid with a 4 barrel carby installed from new. It has been repowered recently and now has a 7.4 MPI. It has the origional Bravo II gear box still installed. It easily gets along at 30 knots and at 25 knots, only uses 3 liters of fuel per nautical mile."

chris thanks for the info my l

chris thanks for the info my leg is a bravo three duo prop do you think this will make a difference also is your freinds a wide body model once again thanks

"It will be the same boat, I t

"It will be the same boat, I think my friends is a 92, I'll have a look today, he is docked next to me in the marina. The gear box will make no difference, you may have to re-prop after you go back to the 7.4. The motor will just drop right in, you'll need one with the stern drive setup, ie, bell housing to suit the inner transom plate and the coupler on the flywheel."

Back