Logo

Battery Switch & Guest Charger

HondaJoe

Hi guys - Well I finally got around to installing a 1-all-2 battery switch on my new to me, 2001 Carolina Skiff with a 2001 40 hp BF40A tiller motor. I have a question for the esteemed sharpies out there. The previous owner had no switch for the batteries but instead used a guest battery charger for his accessory battery. He bolted the charger to the battery box and since he always tailored the boat this worked nicely for him.

Well I hope to do both, keeping the boat in a marina slip and trailing to various duck hunting grounds when the marina is closed and I have to trailer to get out hence the installation of the battery switch. I kept the charger connected to the battery figuring " just in case " I need to charge the battery in the winter since it does have quite a few years on it. Good idea or not.

Thanks ............... Joe

It is common to leave a marine charger connected to the battery. When using dual batteries the charger outputs are usually connected to the battery lugs on the switch so that the batteries may charge while the loads remain disconnected. Usually a bilge pump with an automatic float switch is wired to the battery lug as well so that it is not disabled when the loads are switched off by the switch.

Back