Logo

Battery Drain through Regulator/Rectifier

steamin53

I have a 900ma battery drain through the red charge wire to the rectifier on this engine. I haven't done any specific diode tests yet but have definitively determined the drain to be from the starter solenoid to the red wire of the rectifier/regulator.

No drain on any other circuit and if I separate the red wire rectifier terminals on the junction block it's zero amps. Actually 900 ma is enough to run it down...almost a 1 amp constant drain. It's a known good battery. What is puzzling is that I get ~15vdc charge a full speed even with what would appear to be one shorted diode.

Any need to troubleshoot further or is it safe to condem the rectifier/regulator now?

Anybody got a good used one they'd care to sell? OMC part number 0585001, CDI 193-4476, Sierra 18-5827.

Steve

Have you really 900mA current drain into the red lead with stopped engine? 900mA times 12V makes 10.8 Watts! So something must get hot, either the regulator or the stator.
I guess the regulator doesn't, you would have written else. Check the stator windings for a short to ground too.

Back