Logo

BATTERY CHARGING ON EVINRUDE 70 HP 1993 E70TLETS

northcoastbob

"I'M HAVING BATTERY CHARGE

"I'M HAVING BATTERY CHARGE PROBLEMS, BATTERY GOES DEAD AFTER A FEW HOURS RUNNING NAV LITES AND AERATOR, STONE DEAD! BOTH BATTERIES WILL CHARGE ON MY DEEP CYCLE CHARGER OUT OF THE BOAT. BOTH BATTERIES ARE ABOUT A YEAR OLD. I SUSPECT A PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERY CHARGE FROM THE ENGINE, ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW TO CHECK THAT? ENGINE WILL RUN OK WITH BATTERY DISCONNECTED, IS THAT IS A CLUE? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED FOLKS!

BOB W."

Robert..... What is the model

Robert..... What is the model number of that engine. OMC manufactured quite a few different designed 70hp models in the 1970's.

The engine as you stated will run without a battery BUT BUT BUT doing so destroys the rectifier. This eliminates the charging system as if it did not exist.

Replace the rectifier and DO NOT run the engine without the battery in the future.

"Joe, Engine is 1993, e70tlets

"Joe, Engine is 1993, e70tlets, 70 hp. Can you tell me where the rectifier for the charge circuit is located and where can I get the part on line? Thanks.

Bob wright"

"If you have a local parts sto

"If you have a local parts store they could show you where it is on your motor. A test tool is available for around 15/20$. It can test battery and charging system. I have seen them at bass pro shop. If you have a volt meter you can use it by holding the appropriate leads to your battery and noting the reading{it should be in the 12 volt range}then start your motor and recheck. There should be a slight rise in voltage. It may not be much, but as long as there is a rise you are charging. If not, the rectifier may be your problem."

"Thanks Chris,
I got the

"Thanks Chris,
I got the parts manual from this website. The rectifier is quite pricey, it would sure be nice to know if it is really bad. I'll look for the tester you mention and meanwhile put my voltmeter on the battery as you suggest. Thanks for the good info.

Regards,
Bob W"

Back