Logo

battery cable lenght too short

Vinicius Carmo

I bought a new tohatsu 9.8 for a catalina 25 and found that cable provided is too short to reach battery compartment...
Reading other posts I understand that the best option is to replace entire cable for a new longer cable, perhaps a jumper cable, for the full 14' needed from outboard to battery.

Issue#1: How is the battery cable connected to the motor? Is it a simple task I can do without voiding the warranty? What type connector is used at the motor?

Issue#2: Jumper cable... they are designed for a very quick use only, if now they are permanently connected to motor and recharging battery for hours, isn't there a chance of overheating cable and start a fire? Would it be considered an inexpensive solution compromising safety?:confused:

Many thanks!
vini

The proper wire to use is Marine Grade; that is, individually tinned, stranded conductors in a flexible vinyl jacket. The ends are terminated in rings, similar to the battery end of the Factory cable. Proper way to do that is with a good crimper. Recommend you use adhesive-lined shrink tube (or rings that have the shrink tube already on them) as well. Ancor makes a good duplex cable for that purpose, part #1239xx (the x's are for the length on the spool) available at virtually any decent marine chandlery. At a 14-foot distance, you will want at least #8 AWG or larger; 6 AWG, part #1237xx, is fine. It is possible, but not as elegant nor as reliable to make extension cables. They would also have ring termination, and would attach to the existing cable with very short stainless bolts, then either sealed in shrink tube (best) or wrapped very well with a good grade of electrical tape (not as good).

Most jumper cables are not marine grade. It will work, but won't be as resistant to corrosion in the marine environment.

The existing cables are continuously connected, and don't overheat, with the 6-amp charging system on the 9.8, so replacement "jumper" cables won't either. But you would cut off the alligator clamp ends, and attach ring terminals

If you are not familiar with making up custom-length battery cables, or don't have the appropriate crimping tools, check with your local full-service marina or chandlery to see if they can do the job for you.

Last edited:
Many thanks Paul, appreciate your detailed explanation, it is very good and makes a lot of sense to me. I'll go for a full lenght wire replacement to duplex 6 AWG, all 14 feet, and crimp the ring terminals myself with the ancor terminals with heat shrink tubing already on them, I'm familiar with that. Probably will use the jumper cable solution to save $$$... and try to make the best insulation possible at the ring terminals to avoid corrosion.

Only thing I'd like to confirm with you is the connection to the outboard, as I don't have access to my boat and motor during the week, the marina is too far and I can only go do maintenance and sail on the weekends... :(
so the connection to the outboard is also with ring terminals just like the other end? Is it easy to get to and disconnect?
Thank you.
Vini

The exact terminations at the motor end depend on whether you have electric start or not. On the rope start models, the cables are for charging only; for an EF or EP type, the + wire has to feed the starter solenoid as well. It does take a little skill, dexterity, and patience to thread the cabling inside the lower cowling.

Back