Logo

Barely start with starting fluid & wont stay running long

jtpyrtle

Mine is a ‘06 15hp 2s, I got it about 14 months ago and hasn’t cause me any engine trouble until now. I was going across the intracoastal in NC for a bonfire on an island. About halfway across I could it didn’t have the power it should and it slowly started to fade out until it stopped. Luckily I always bring a trolling motor and paddles so I was able to get there and back fine.

About 6 weeks later I get around to checking it out and i barely got it started only for it to cut out about 20 seconds later. I learned in auto school that an engine is like ***, it’s gotta suck, bang, & blow. To me it seems like the spark plugs may need to be replaced.

I also noticed some black oil coming from the prop after it started. Thinking it was my lower unit oil I checked it, but it was still blueish in color. I read it may just be exhaust burning off the extra oil from engines ran a bit rich, just wondering if someone could confirm.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

(I took videos of it, but I can’t seem to figure out how to upload. Let me know if I should post a YouTube link)

Back