Logo

Ball Gears

kountzelightdiesel

Contributing Member
How much wear will the ball gears on a stringer drive take before they give up? I have a complete drive with like new ball gears I am going to swap into my boat but I really don't want to have to do it until this winter. I'm not wanting down time or the cost of replacing the boot and water pump right now. I have considered just swapping out the gears but I'm not sure I can get my worn ones off (the nut threads and shaft appear to be rusted into one piece) LOL. On the other hand I do alot of watersports idle to WOT so I don't want it to strand me in the middle of the lake.

Thanks

When I pulled mine out after I purchased the boat, I found that they were pretty, well, ugly, worn down, and from the bad wear marks, I would say that the leg was up for a fair time.

Took a long time to find replacements, so I am going to simply keep these to show why one mustn't have the leg up whilst the engine is running.

I approached people I use to see about reconditioning them, but it was cheaper to wait for them to show up on ebay.

Bruce.

Last edited:
Taz believe it or not i have a 86' and they look new on my boat.

Then again i would be surprised the boat has, 200 hours running time on it.

Guy i got it from is a friend and bought it new, he swears he didn't put 20 hours on the boat, just sat and sat.

I put the 180 hours on it, and along the way i had to replace both shafts in the drive 1 water pump in the drive " old one 20 years plus still looked good "
Coupler, and motor, my fault the block went, the head went and i pulled up a hole in the back corner.

Oh yea the alternator, and starter, riser. All from sitting.

Mine actually look worse than yours Bruce. Mine is an '83 but the one I'm going to swap in is an '85 and the gears on it have no wear at all. I can't say about the previous owner but I have only run it with drive part way up only once in an emergency. But I have noticed them wearing relatively quickly over the past couple of months.

Like I said its not so much the cost of the gears I really don't plan on repairing this drive (just keep it for parts my new one seems to be in alot better shape) I just don't want to pull it right now.

Chief do they have any luck welding them?

them ball gears are shot,with a small propane torch and a slide hammer you can get them off pretty easey ive done around 5 pairs so far and thats all i needed but becarful with the slide hammer to much force can ruin your retainer and seal if you go to ebay look up a seller named Pith he rebuilds and saves these parts

Mine actually look worse than yours Bruce. ......Mine is an '83 but the one I'm going to swap in is an '85 and the gears on it have no wear at all. .........
Like I said its not so much the cost of the gears I really don't plan on repairing this drive (just keep it for parts my new one seems to be in alot better shape) I just don't want to pull it right now.
Mine are the "Press-on" variety, and VERY HARD to find, and when one does, they are expensive, and highly sought-after.

Yours will most likely be the "Bolt-on" type, and these are available anywhere, especially on ebay.

The visual difference with the "Press-on" against the "Bolt-on" is the smaller diametyer of the Welsh Plug in the end of the Intermediate Gear. They aren't interchangeable.

Bruce.

PS. Before pulling off the Leg, if you are going to use them again, is to mark permanently the meshing of the Balls, so that they can go back together in the same place. If not, then they WILL wear out a lot faster.

Back