Logo

Bad thermostat in 1987 70ELPTO

Redbeard

I have a constant alarm blaring. Tracked the issue to the temperature sensor. Pisses cold water and alarm turns off when I unplug the wire that goes to the thermostat. Problem is I can't find the thermostat on crowleymarine. Does anyone have the part number or proper name for the part I'm looking for?

I was being stupid and was looking at the wrong part of the site for the part I needed. I'm just going to go ahead and replace all thermostat parts and the electrical sender. On another note, the engine was running rough when I took it out. *edit* it would run like normal until about 1/3 throttle then would surge kinda like it wasn't running on all cylinders. Checked fuel and oil pump and both are good. *edit* Bad gas originally but drained the tank and replaced with new gas. Pulled the plugs and two are pretty corroded one looks like it was replaced. Would bad piston seals cause corrosion? Can't do compression test until check hits tomorrow.

Last edited:
If you have 1 plug that looks vastly different from the other 2 you need to investigate.------Perhaps delay purchase of parts until after a compression test.

Did compression test today. Shows 90psi on all 3 cylinders (not great but acceptable in my eyes). I'm thinking the odd plug out may have just been replaced at some point. Going ahead with the thermostat purchase as well as fuel pump diaphragm. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back