Logo

Bad prop

roger

How can I tell if the hub in

How can I tell if the hub in my prop is slipping?

After a day of hard running or an hour of tubing the prop seems to "cavitate" when hard throttle is applied.

Easing into the throttle and working up to WOT slowly seems to be OK at these times. Also floating around for 5 minutes seems to restore 80% to response.

" Roger,

Other than ju

" Roger,

Other than just inspecting the prop for damage, you could put the engine in gear and try and turn the prop; if you can get the prop to turn without turning the engine, it's slipping. Be sure that you attempt to turn the prop in the right direction - if the engine's in reverse, turn the prop in reverse etc.. turning it the other way can be bad for the water pump impeller. Also, different lower units do different things when you try and turn the engine from the prop side. Some lower units will "rachet" and not allow you to turn the engine from the prop - if that's the case, try putting it in gear in the other direction.

Jon "

Put a punch mark on the prop

Put a punch mark on the prop and one on the hub . after running the marks should not shift their relative location.

"Roger.... Here's another

"Roger.... Here's another suggestion. Have the engine in gear, also it's a good idea to remove the spark plug wires for safety reasons. Insert a 2x4 between the prop and the cavitation plate to jam the prop, then (in a clockwise motion) apply pressure to the flywheel nut with a long breaker bar and socket.

If you can turn the propshaft within the propeller, the prop hub is slipping.

Joe
"

Back