Logo

Bad fuel

B

bobbyj202

"Normaly this boat runs awesom

"Normaly this boat runs awesome.. I put in 5 gal of 87 to take my nephew for a spin around the lake, about half way down the lake the boat bogged out and stalled.. It started right back up and was running fine, then the same thing happened.. Again it started back up, i could totaly tell it wasnt on all 8, then a wave shifted me around and it stated running on all 8 again and good again.. the same stuff on and off until I could get it back home.. I am thinking I got some bad fuel becasue it ran fine before i put gas in it and right after i put the fuel in the boat cashed out on me.. Its a 1992 350 mag (carb). Does anyone else think thats whats up? I checked all the obvious stuff like wires, cap, rotor but found no problems visualy.. I might syphon the gas and replace the filter.."

"your definatley on the right

"your definatley on the right track, take a fuel sample and let it sit in a clean clear glass jar ( or plastic ) see if you see bubbles on the bottom, could take a few minutes or so for it to settle and separate.

Do you have a Fuel Water Separator ? if so dump that into a glass and let it sit..

You may have stirred up the fuel in the tank, 5 gal is awefully low to be running your tank, you should have like a 30-50gal tank yes ?? no ??"

"yep, agree with Brian.
with

"yep, agree with Brian.
with ethanol in fuel it sucks up water (moisture from the air) like a sponge, should try and keep tank close to full and add fuel stabilizer, and don't let your tank get to low.
if there is just a little water in the sample try adding a can of sea foam."

"I usualy only put 10 gals in,

"I usualy only put 10 gals in, thats a half tank so i am assuming its 20 gal tank maybe a little bit more.. yes there is a water fuel serperator/filter, its a 1992 350 mag (carb).. I normally run higher octane in it, like 92 or premium sometimes, just went cheap this time, now I probaly got to syphon the tank and change the fuel filter and all that, I had about 1/8 of a tank when i added this 5 gals of crappy fuel.. I should put some turbo blue in it LOL.. So do you guys think i should swap out the plugs too??"

"One more weird thing that hap

"One more weird thing that happened, I was messing with it all that day and it had great oil pressure and temp was perfect. I added some dry gas in the tank and the next day I ran the boat to try running this crap out of the tank and I noticed the temp climbed to 180-190 so I took it back to the dock.. Normally pulling tubes or even running it all day it never goes past 160.. did the dry gas make it run hotter???????"

"The fuel you put in has 10% e

"The fuel you put in has 10% ethanol,same stuff.The more you add ,the worse it gets.
Dooes it have a water sep filter that could be clogged?"

"Whats up with our fuel ??? so

"Whats up with our fuel ??? some crappy stuff! Yea I looked up the filter/water seperator, its 10 bucks, I am throwing in new plugs along with some good gas.."

Back