Logo

Bad drive shaft bearing assembly 1986 30hp Evinrude

Rikster66

I pulled the oil seals out relatively easily but now looking at the bearing assembly it seems a little beat as I can't spin the rollers at all. I was looking to replace it. Looking down into my bearing assembly it looks like just one bearing in there that should come out as one unit.
The parts diagram seems to show 4 different parts in there. The bearing housing 322018, The bearing assembly 386473, and another 2 part bearing assembly 376856.
Does that all go together in there as one? Do I need all 3 of those parts to replace the bearing ass.? I doesn't seem like anything is missing in my unit. I know it is a 1986 30 hp Evinrude, not sure of the model as the data plate is missing but I would think the lower units are all the same.
Again thanks in advance for nay help you can provide

There is one Drive shaft bearing. And two pinion gear bearings. Need for replacement depends on what's going on in there. The drive shaft bearing is pressed into the bearing housing. Replacing the brg hsg is not normally required, just press in a new bearing.

There is one Drive shaft bearing. And two pinion gear bearings. Need for replacement depends on what's going on in there. The drive shaft bearing is pressed into the bearing housing. Replacing the brg hsg is not normally required, just press in a new bearing.

Thanks Bd, I managed to pull out the old drive shaft bearing and press it out of the housing. Definitely needed a replacement one of those. I'm hoping the pinion gear bearings are OK as I haven't opened the lower unit.
The engine sat for a while unused and my thoughts are that the lower bearings stayed submerged in oil and should be ok while the drive shaft bearing was exposed to the the atmosphere and rusted.
Just waiting on the replacement now.

Back