Logo

Back running

Jimmyjak

Recently i had the misfortune of flipping my boat. After allowing it to dry and airing out the cylinders with some wd-40 I troubleshot a ignition problem to the solenoid and replaced it with one i had. Now the motor runs fine starts great...however when i run a top speed it will all of the sudden just die. It will restart and run fine again. It is almost like a kill switch is being hit. It only happens when i am mashing the throttle. Suggestions? Is there a kill switch on the timing ring?. It is a 1989 40 hp vro Evenrude...E40TLCEC.:confused:

No kill switch on timing ring....

Be very careful when this particular failure occurs. It could very well be that the engine is running lean, and as it heats up, a piston seizes in the cylinder, causing the engine to stall out.
If it is this "lean seize", unfortunately the damage is done. To rule it out, re-do a compression test. Hopefully you will have normal compression.

Or it could be starving for gas because of water in the system. Especially if you have a water separator filter. Might have water in the fuel tank also.

Normally, when a engine is underwater, especially if it's salt water, the back of the ignition switch blows out. If yours did not, I would still strongly suspect that the internal workings are developing a intermittent short which is common when they're submerged.... shorts out the black/yellow wire intermittently. If so, the cure is to replace that switch.

To test, simply remove the black/yellow wire from the ignition switch... if the problem ceases to be, = bad switch.

Or it could be starving for gas because of water in the system. Especially if you have a water separator filter. Might have water in the fuel tank also.
I bought a new tank and fresh gas. I would not start at first so i pulled the plugs wd- 40 in the cylinders and cranked it over for a while. I did this 3 or 4 times. still it could be i will search for the filter thank you.

Thank you very much....i grafted a switch in the black yellow wire and with it off was able to run normal then switch it on after turning off the ignition switch and it stops fine. I'll be ordering a new switch. Thanks again!!

Back