Logo

b93 Johnson 175 hp horn signals

C

Charles Belshe

" My girl friend wants to know

" My girl friend wants to know the significance of an intermitent horn signal emitted when cruising fast in rough water on Buzzard's Bay, MA. I observed the horn sound happening just after a wave impact,I think...events happen very fast. No obvious change in engine sounds.

Would horn signals be covered in the Maintence Manual?

Thanks for any help...Charlie "

"Charles.... It would be an ex

"Charles.... It would be an excellent idea to read that manual to avoid a expensive problem. See below.

(VRO Horn Warnings)

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank.

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - The warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Joe
"

" Thanks for the comments. I

" Thanks for the comments. I will buy her the maintenance manual as a late Christmas present.

The intermitent nature of the beeps, ie only certain wave impacts elicit a single beep, makes it hard to relate to the warning signals you describe.

Hope you have a great New Year. Charlie "

Back